• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explain scopes to me. Why special "rimfire scope"?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
So I wanted a .22lr. But discovered .17wsm so yea...

I have a few scopes for Ar-15's but never used them, I just have a red dot on mine.

The gun I'm buying requires a scope which I'm not happy about but there's just no iron sight option (savage B-mag heavy barrel .17wsm). I'm told I cannot use one of the AR scopes because the rimfire gun will break it. I can understand the reverse being true but why does a scope made for a gun with recoil die on a gun with almost no recoil?

Do I really need a special rimfire scope? And can anyone explain this in idiot terms?

Also this is what I'm looking at right now, is this good enough? It's a rimfire I'm not spending Leupold money for a target gun...

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
The reason for "rim fire" specific scopes is that they are cheaper to manufacture. A 30-06 bolt action will produce a lot more recoil than a .22 LR and therefore need a stronger scope. Also, some rim fire guns have the odd mounting point (not picatinny compatible-my old memory refuses to find the proper name). An AR15 scope that will "mount" will work just fine. I had a Savage B Mag in .17 WSM with a standard barrel and was using a Redfield Hunter ranging scope. Worked well but the bullet was just too light with any breeze. I went with a Howa 1500 in .223......works good out to 500 yards on prairie dogs.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The reason for "rim fire" specific scopes is that they are cheaper to manufacture. A 30-06 bolt action will produce a lot more recoil than a .22 LR and therefore need a stronger scope. Also, some rim fire guns have the odd mounting point (not picatinny compatible-my old memory refuses to find the proper name). An AR15 scope that will "mount" will work just fine. I had a Savage B Mag in .17 WSM with a standard barrel and was using a Redfield Hunter ranging scope. Worked well but the bullet was just too light with any breeze. I went with a Howa 1500 in .223......works good out to 500 yards on prairie dogs.
This, I think a high powered rifle scope should work on a low powered rifle but not vice versa... But aparently from internet research, a normal scope will be destroyed on a rimfire!?

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The only thing that comes to mind is my trijicon scope that has lines to account for drop off after so many yards.

obviously those lines would be in the incorrect place to used with the wrong caliber.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Parralax is different. An AO (adjustable objective) scope will correct this issue. It will effect accuracy, and probably focus, but not damage the scope.

Air rifle scopes are specific due to the direction of the recoil. Air guns recoil "backwards" compared to powder guns. The way the cross-hair is supported on a normal scope is meant to only brace against the recoil in that direction. Most air rifle rated scopes are braced in both directions.

A "center fire" scope on a rim fire rifle should not break. It may not focus or align correctly, or be difficult to adjust properly because they are parallaxed to 100 yards instead of the 50 yards usually used for rim fires. This may be why some people say they get "broken".

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Parralax is different. An AO (adjustable objective) scope will correct this issue. It will effect accuracy, and probably focus, but not damage the scope.

Air rifle scopes are specific due to the direction of the recoil. Air guns recoil "backwards" compared to powder guns. The way the cross-hair is supported on a normal scope is meant to only brace against the recoil in that direction. Most air rifle rated scopes are braced in both directions.

A "center fire" scope on a rim fire rifle should not break. It may not focus or align correctly, or be difficult to adjust properly because they are parallaxed to 100 yards instead of the 50 yards usually used for rim fires. This may be why some people say they get "broken".
You is smaht.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I find variable magnification scopes easier to work with than fixed power scopes. If you have the opportunity to try both before you buy, do so.

They make 1-4x and 1-6x scopes for .22LR. And don’t go cheap. There is a big clarity difference between a cheap Tasco and a good scope.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

89Twincharge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Should have provisions drilled for scope mounts you can get weaver or picatinny mounts... as far I know you can use scope for larger rifles on the rim fire with no problem but "rimfire"scopes are usually lower profile which means closer to bore axis.. it all comes down to preference and budget! But any thing more then 9x is kind of overkill because of velocity drop... it will hit like two pumps on a daisy bb gun!

87Ranger4x4xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Rimfire scopes are less rugged and therefore cheaper. Check the minimum focal distance, parallel adjustment before buying/using a centerfire scope ... if the minimum is 100 yds you will have trouble At shorter ranges

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals