• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

expensive cleaning mistake, plastic intake dissolves.

BiggSherm1988

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
none...yet
Total Drop
not for me
Whoa… I knew that not all plastics and chemicals were compatible but yikes!

This also reminds me, I need to clean the intakes for my 5.0, but they are aluminum. I have been scratching my head on exactly what to use though, I don’t see any good way to scrub the runners in the upper intake

Take a page from the BMW world and walnut blast the intake. it will clean the runners and the valves without taking anything off the car. I got my bike intake (post throttle body) walnut blasted when I bought it and it was like new after. i know they have kits to get DIY but i had a local shop do it.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Take a page from the BMW world and walnut blast the intake. it will clean the runners and the valves without taking anything off the car. I got my bike intake (post throttle body) walnut blasted when I bought it and it was like new after. i know they have kits to get DIY but i had a local shop do it.
I don’t know anyone around here that would do such a thing. Besides, my intake is already off right now

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Holy moley. I would have stopped with throttle body cleaner. You would be surprised at the chemicals that can damage plastic or at least mar the finish. That includes the detailing sprays such as Armor All, if left on when it's hot outside. Even Kroil penetrating oil and Marvel Mystery Oil will attack some plastics over time because they contain solvents. Kroil put pinholes in a plastic container I was using to soak a tool.

I can't think of anything on a car I would use oven cleaner, Drano (which is lye), or strong acids on. Anything.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
us 'ol retired guy's have a tendency to experiment a bit. and we're damn good at it :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals