• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Exit B4 the Rear Tire

RedneckRanger69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L V6
Transmission
Manual
Im thinking about changing up my exhaust system a little bit, I was thinkin about keepin the Flowmaster Original 40 series muffler on but instead of having the pipe come straight out the back, i was thinkin about bending the pipe to where it comes out right before the rear tire. Does anybody notice a difference in sound doing this, also, Do ya'll think a turn-down exhaust tip will make any difference in sound if put on. Im just wondering what wuld sound the best. I want the truck to still have that good deep sounding rumble at idle and sound fairly decent thruout the rpm band. Im pretty sure im gonna get a regular 3 inch diameter clamp on tip, but I was wondering if a turn-down tip of the same diameter wuld sound any different. Let me know wat ya'll think.

BEEFKING69

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yeah ull be able to hear it beter if u exit before the tire and stick with the straight tip cause a tip is a tip no matter how its cut r angled

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My feeling is just that, a 3" tip is going to make it look like a ricer!
Dave

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
IMHO 3" tip looks fine on a ranger. I just built a before tire exit exhaust that goes over the frame on my buddy's ranger (forum member Grunizzle), I'll try and get pics up soon.
Heres the pics.

Last edited:

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
I really try and discourage people from doing a side exit in front of the rear tire.

You should see what it does to your brakes and wheel on that side of the truck. Major corrosion problems and it will cause yellowing of your rim if it is aluminum.

Ford tried that style of exhaust on the 97/98 f150's and recalled them afterward and put a full length tail pipe on them behind the rear tire and replaced the ruined wheels as well.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Ford still did it on the lightnings :dunno: I've never had any problems with the brakes, yeah my wheel got a little discolored but they were crap anyways and they cleaned up, I've run the before tire setup for 2 years.. I think it's an effective way to get the exhaust out from under the truck and when run over the frame it's very protected, much more so than a tail pipe and they sound better.

RedneckRanger69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L V6
Transmission
Manual
Does the exit before rear tire system still produce that resonating sound, cause thats the key im lookin for! I want the truck to rumble at idle. and sound fairly good thruout the rpm band, even though the 3.0L is a revver.

simonsays

October 2010 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
here is a pic of my exhaust on my truck.. i havn't had any issues with it and i love the way it sounds. i didn't use a 3in tip i used a 2.5in tip.

Ranger97XL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I think it sounds good, i dont know if a turn down will matter if its not under the vehicle, my mustang had a turn down under it and it definitely made it louder. I live in chicago so 90% of the bridges are metal grates and whenever I drove over one it sounded like the car shut off it would get so quite

I only used a 2" tip

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I love mine, some people have asked me if I have a V8 in there, no issues with brakes, discolored rims or tires, very deep rumble, of course the 6" diesel tip helps

SVT

RedneckRanger69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L V6
Transmission
Manual
Holy Shit! A 6 inch Diesel Tip on a Ranger, Lol, thats crazy, aite well I think im just gonna build my own side exit exhaust system. Im gonna use 2.5 inch diameter pipe behind the the last catalytic converter, running into a Flowmaster Original 40 series American Thunder muffler, with 2.5 inch diameter pipe running out of the muffler turning 90 degrees to the right and to finish it off, Im gonna go with one of those 3 inch Single Inlet/Double Outlet tip. Im pretty sure it'll sound good, Im gonna have to move the muffler up closer to the catalytic converter to have enough room to make the pipe do a 90 degree turn to the right. Does anybody know if moving the muffler a little bit towards the catalytic converter will affect the overall sound output, Im pretty sure it ain't gonna change, but I can never be to sure, Does anybody have any saying on that?

Z3CHYD

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 front 5 rear
Tire Size
225/60R15
^ well i kno if you move the muffler closer to underneath the cab, it might get a lil "drony" in the cab, but other than that it should sound sweet, lets see some pics when ur done :)

paxlineman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
heres a pic of my side exit before the rear tire

Z3CHYD

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3 front 5 rear
Tire Size
225/60R15
Here's my exhaust setup on my 86 2.9l, I never had any issues with rust or discoloration and it sounded decent too

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals