• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Exhaust Wrap - Is my head stuck up something?

RangerJoey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Teen Wolf for President!
Hi All,
I just finished up putting a Gibson SS single exhaust system on my 4.0. Nice low tone that oddly really doesn't make it into the cabinet at all. Hangers and clamps are all "snug" and I was going to tighten things up, but then I had a thought: I wasn't planning on having anything welded and best i know, it creates an air-tight seal. Cool...cool. Well short of having them connections welded, is it feasible to put some exhaust wrap around the connections to accomplish something similar or will this be another maintenance thing/headache down the line?

I've never worked with the stuff and it doesn't look like it's sealed, but is there something along those lines I could go with? I was considering putting some high-temp sealant but I think I'm overthinking this like a nut.

Any input? I don't mind leaving them with clamps, just taking this opportunity to see if there's something I might be missing.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The only place where a gasketed sealed flange or weld is necessary is anywhere before the cats. Manifold to down pipe, down pipe to cat etc should all be 100% leakproof. After that clamps are fine. If you can't hear a leak I wouldn't worry about it. Wrap wont do anything to seal a joint that is already leaking.

RangerJoey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Teen Wolf for President!
Thanks Dirtman! And there's no leak or anything like that. New system and I'm quite happy but just wondering if there's like a poor man's weld or something.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Permatex Ultra copper RTV can help seal flanges and slip joints but again, if it's not leaking I don't really think it's all that worth it to take it apart and add it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals