• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Exhaust Question Troubleshooting

SRD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hello. I have had several issues with my 99 Ranger and have always gotten good information from these forums.

Recently, I replaced all 3 O2 Sensors on my 99 Ranger Flex 3.0 XLT.

The Check Engine Light came off and the truck was running perfect. Then abruptly 2 months later I start getting check engine codes:

1. P0141 FIrst Code received 2 months after installing the new O2 sensors
2. P0136 Second code one month later...

My questions are does anyone know or could help me troubleshoot what might cause the O2 sensors to fail so quickly? I thought it might be just a faulty sensor but I did buy Motorcraft replacements and with multiple codes I am thinking that I need to discover what might be wrong that could "Cause" the o2 sensors to fail quickly...If I replace them again I an thinking they will just fail again.

I am no where near a Pro. I just fix my own cars/trucks. Any suggestions, advice or direction on this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
SRD

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Make sure you do not have any wiring problems under there. The wires are near the exhaust system. Do visual and inspect the connectors also.

SRD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hello. Thanks for the input. The P0131 code would def point to the wiring and low voltage. However, I think I solved the issue another way and it is not the wiring at all. Any input is appreciated.

I recently bought 3 NEW O2 sensors Motorcraft from eBay and they are supposed to be "100% Compatible" and made by Ford and even say FORD on them. Matched up on eBay tool to fit my exact flex 3.0 truck.

eBay Link: Set of 3 Motorcraft Oxygen O2 Sensor for 1995-2003 Ford Ranger V6 3.0L 4.0L | eBay

2. However, after some review I am under the idea that "Compatible" and "Exact Match or Exact Fit" are NOT the same thing.

3. So, all 3 NEW O2 sensors had the SAME Part number and were stamped FORD and all fit perfectly. However, I kept the old O2 sensors and matched up the part numbers and there is "2" different part numbers. One part number for the Upstream O2 (Bosch 15717) and another different on for the Downstream O2...(Bosch 15719).

4. So, is it safe to assume that they have 2 different part numbers because they are configured somewhat differently; if even slightly....and YES it seems to make a difference??. Buying the set that is "Compatible" over an "Exact Fit" means failing early, low gas mileage etc...and you never even know it because they "Work" when initially installed.

5. So, I bought 2x of the Bosch 15717 and 1x of the Bosch 15719....this should be a better fit and the sensors should not fail quickly now and my gas mileage should improve quite a bit.

6. Or are the 2 different part numbers just because one has a longer cable...and both are same configuration?

I could actually see the needle drain as I drove it.....lol. Hopefully this is a correct more accurate fix.

Thanks for all the help....of course any suggestions/comments are always welcome.
SRD

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
if you look at the pic real close all three of those sensors are the same one, 3 pics of the same item.
I use Bosch sensors with great results.
the different part # is for different length wires, the sensors are the same.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Possibly bad or wrong sensor(s)? Unfortunately these days, getting a bad part out of the box, or the wrong one, is much more probable than it used to be.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I agree with pj.

SRD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ok, thank you for the replies! I have reached the following conclusion. Any input?

1. I have replaced the O2 sensors with the Bosch replacements.
2. I decided to investigate the "Color" of the O2 sensors removed.....they were very very very Black. I assume it can be one of 4 colors causing the malfunction if not a factory defect. The color of the tip then tells us the issue??
3. So, since the one I removed was just purchased 2 months ago; and, it was very very very black
4. I now assume that there is OIL leaking not my exhaust system somehow? Can this be causing the Blackness and abrupt premature failure?

Either way new ones fix it...but I assume something else is causing the failure other then faulty sensors since 2 of them went bad quickly. Maybe these will fail fast if other issue is not detected and cured.

Anyway, Thanks for all the input...all roads lead to a solution if you keep at it.... SRD

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I did have a old dodge caravan that burned oil and would ruin the O2 sensors. It ran good when the sensor was first installed, but it would then start running very rich after a few weeks. What I did with that was just unplug the sensor and left the plug hanging. It ran much better that way. I am assuming since I unplugged it, it gave up on looking at the O2 sensor and just went off the fueling tables programmed into it from the factory. I ran it that way for several more years till the head gasket blew.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals