• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Exhaust Manifold Interchange?

freakNeck

Reaction score
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone knows if the stock passenger side exhaust manifold from a 2002 4.0L will bolt onto a 2000 3.0L?

It's a long story, but the short of it is, I've got a Y/crossover-pipe/catalytic converter that seems to be for a 4.0L motor, but the Ranger I've got is a 3.0L. These are advertised fitting 3.0L or the 4.0L all over Amazon and E-Bay, but apparently, not....

The existing 3.0L right side exhaust dumps almost straight down ultimately, and the 4.0 is more sloping. In the attached pic, you can see the new x-over pipe, and why I think the 4.0L manifold MAY work, if it bolts onto the head.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_20210406_121729936.jpg
IMG_20210406_182117133.jpg

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
No. In this case the answer is a firm no.

In general though, the answer to this question (in a broader sense) can be determined by looking up the part numbers for the manifold gasket. If they are the same then there is a good chance the manifolds are close enough. If they are different it's a hard no.

But the only things that interchange between a 3.0 and 4.0 are the coolant and fuel. Nothing else, not even the oil, is the same.

freakNeck

Reaction score
No. In this case the answer is a firm no.

In general though, the answer to this question (in a broader sense) can be determined by looking up the part numbers for the manifold gasket. If they are the same then there is a good chance the manifolds are close enough. If they are different it's a hard no.

But the only things that interchange between a 3.0 and 4.0 are the coolant and fuel. Nothing else, not even the oil, is the same.
Looking back at this issue...

Who's in the wrong here? I mean...you've got sellers all over E-Bay selling a Y-Pipe/Cat for a 2000 Ranger that is claimed to fit a 3.0 or 4.0.

Like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/274027721600?fits=Year:2000|Model:Ranger|Make:Ford&hash=item3fcd533380:g:7sYAAOSwB-1dji2r

...but, the exhaust manifolds are plainly different between the two. The one on my 3.0L dumps down earlier and more vertically than the 4.0 manifolds, as seen in the pictures above.

Every manifold being sold, new and used, for 3.0L looks to be just like the one on my Ranger. Some I see for the earlier Rangers w/2.9L look similar to what I need, similar to the 4.0 pic above.

Did the manifold change in 2001? The callout for what I have seems to be 97(98?)-2000. Is the a difference in manifolds for Gas vs FlexFuel, or EPA vs CA emissions? Is mine a 1/2 year model with some changes cut in before the end of the last model year before changes?? I could not find ANY source for a 2001-up RIGHT-side 3.0L manifold to even look at the pictures on line.

This is bugging the cr*p out of me!

( You have listed your a Ford tech...so I'm hoping you may have these answers.)

Thanks for your time!!

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Rock auto shows right side manifolds for1998. My understanding is that the 3.0 Vulcan black stayed the same throughout the years. So that should probably work. But let someone else confirm that.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
depends on how good you are at stretching metal.
the 3.0 has 4.330" bore spacing, 4.0 has 4.760"

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
depends on how good you are at stretching metal.
the 3.0 has 4.330" bore spacing, 4.0 has 4.760"
He wanted to use 4.0 on a 3.0. So he would have to compress the longer 4.0 manifold to fit the 3.0. Still not easy.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Looking back at this issue...

Who's in the wrong here? I mean...you've got sellers all over E-Bay selling a Y-Pipe/Cat for a 2000 Ranger that is claimed to fit a 3.0 or 4.0.

Like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/274027721600?fits=Year:2000|Model:Ranger|Make:Ford&hash=item3fcd533380:g:7sYAAOSwB-1dji2r

...but, the exhaust manifolds are plainly different between the two. The one on my 3.0L dumps down earlier and more vertically than the 4.0 manifolds, as seen in the pictures above.

Every manifold being sold, new and used, for 3.0L looks to be just like the one on my Ranger. Some I see for the earlier Rangers w/2.9L look similar to what I need, similar to the 4.0 pic above.

Did the manifold change in 2001? The callout for what I have seems to be 97(98?)-2000. Is the a difference in manifolds for Gas vs FlexFuel, or EPA vs CA emissions? Is mine a 1/2 year model with some changes cut in before the end of the last model year before changes?? I could not find ANY source for a 2001-up RIGHT-side 3.0L manifold to even look at the pictures on line.

This is bugging the cr*p out of me!

( You have listed your a Ford tech...so I'm hoping you may have these answers.)

Thanks for your time!!

I'm not sure what changed and when. Dorman 674413, which is a LH manifold for 2000 and earlier shows a port that the 674447 (2001+) doesn't have. But all years call for the MS95939 gasket set, which means they should bolt up correctly, and the pictures even look like the collector to the Y-pipe is the same.

As for the listing issues on ebay, I will pretty much always side with myself over a listing on ebay. Particularity after one memorable incident where I called out a seller for listing ball joints as fitting a 1997 Bronco II. I pointed out that such a vehicle never even existed and as such it should be removed from the fitment listing. The response I got was "well my book says, so I'm not changing it". When stumped on most parts I consult Rock Auto or Napa Online. If really stumped on exhaust parts I look at Walker's catalog.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals