• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Exhaust Leak @ Flange After Y Pipe

100Timelord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
1997 Ford Ranger V6 XLT

I have an exhaust leak directly under the car somewhere in the front wheel area. I believe it is where the y pipe meets with the pipe to the cats/that flange. I can see a whole bunch of orange RTV on the flange like it has been repaired before, but it is rusted the same as the rest of the exhaust so I doubt it has been replaced. Can I simply clean the mating surface and reapply RTV, or is there a certain gasket I need to install there?

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I don't know for sure about yours but mine has a graphite looking fairly thick gasket there.

600$04Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt 4wd 4.0L V6
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5
My credo
Mandates are for fascist dictators!
That's the correct gasket. The studs on my cat were pretty stripped so I removed them and used stainless steel bolts, nuts, and washers in their place in order to get a tight fit. The noise from that leaking flange was quite loud. Bought the truck knowing it needed major repairs but didn't find out previous owner gutted all 3 cats until I finished rebuilding the engine about a year after towing it home. If you end up replacing the y pipe and 2 cats at some point make sure you are getting a direct fit replacement. The one I bought from Parts geek was not even though it said it was compatible.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals