• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Exhaust Leak @ Flange After Y Pipe

100Timelord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
1997 Ford Ranger V6 XLT

I have an exhaust leak directly under the car somewhere in the front wheel area. I believe it is where the y pipe meets with the pipe to the cats/that flange. I can see a whole bunch of orange RTV on the flange like it has been repaired before, but it is rusted the same as the rest of the exhaust so I doubt it has been replaced. Can I simply clean the mating surface and reapply RTV, or is there a certain gasket I need to install there?

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: DE2235E7692E8C: July 5th, 2021

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I don't know for sure about yours but mine has a graphite looking fairly thick gasket there.

600$04Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt 4wd 4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
That's the correct gasket. The studs on my cat were pretty stripped so I removed them and used stainless steel bolts, nuts, and washers in their place in order to get a tight fit. The noise from that leaking flange was quite loud. Bought the truck knowing it needed major repairs but didn't find out previous owner gutted all 3 cats until I finished rebuilding the engine about a year after towing it home. If you end up replacing the y pipe and 2 cats at some point make sure you are getting a direct fit replacement. The one I bought from Parts geek was not even though it said it was compatible.