• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Excessively High Gauges

86RangerXL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Both my oil pressure gauge and my temp gauge have been really high.

My temp gauge read barely above cold for a while so I replaced the coolant temp sender, now it reads so high that it says its overheating even when the radiator and hoses are cool/cold so I've just been driving it and hoping that it's not overheating since I know the gauge is inaccurate. It seems to consistently stay at the line on the top of the "norm" section and sometimes moves up or down slightly, close but not going past the H though.

Now for my oil pressure gauge, it sometimes almost hits max, and usually stays concerningly high. It usually goes up on hills, but other times I'll be driving on a flat surface or even just coasting and the gauge will read almost maxed out. It goes both ways where sometimes it reads in the middle when going up hills.

I have no idea what's causing these considering both the temp sender and the oil pressure sender are brand new. My gas and ammeter gauge are perfectly fine though

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
There is a voltage regulator behind the dash that controls those.

Its probably failed and is sending them full current.

No idea how to change it though.

I think @19Walt93 has described it before though

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
The constant voltage regulator in the dash is supposed to supply 5 1/2 pulsating volts, if it was causing the oil and temp gauges to be high, the gas gauge would be as well. It's not a big job to change: take the instrument bezel off, reach up behind the dash and pull the speedo cable- you'll feel a raised ridge on one side of the cable end, push on the ridge and pull down on the cable, remove the 4 screws holding the cluster in place and slide it back far enough to unplug the 2 wiring connectors. To get the bezel off you may have to reach behind the dash and push the spring loaded button on the headlight switch so the shaft and knob will pull out. The button is located just behind the mounting bracket.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
If you care about your truck, go buy some real gauges with real numbers. The cheap mechanical ones in the store are way more accurate and give you actual numbers. Then you can accurately monitor your engine.

86RangerXL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The constant voltage regulator in the dash is supposed to supply 5 1/2 pulsating volts, if it was causing the oil and temp gauges to be high, the gas gauge would be as well. It's not a big job to change: take the instrument bezel off, reach up behind the dash and pull the speedo cable- you'll feel a raised ridge on one side of the cable end, push on the ridge and pull down on the cable, remove the 4 screws holding the cluster in place and slide it back far enough to unplug the 2 wiring connectors. To get the bezel off you may have to reach behind the dash and push the spring loaded button on the headlight switch so the shaft and knob will pull out. The button is located just behind the mounting bracket.
The IVR is brand new too, forgot to mention that. But I never tested what voltage is actually coming out of it though

86RangerXL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
If you care about your truck, go buy some real gauges with real numbers. The cheap mechanical ones in the store are way more accurate and give you actual numbers. Then you can accurately monitor your engine.
Yeah I might just do that that, even if it is just to check how accurate the stock gauges are

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
Maybe you have a bad connection at the senders?

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
Maybe you have a bad connection at the senders?
Or a poor engine ground, I should have thought of that earlier. That's one way the gas gauge could be accurate while the other 2 are high.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I might just do that that, even if it is just to check how accurate the stock gauges are
How accurate can "NORMAL" be? I am known as the stock gauge hater on another forum. And Ford is still doing it on the new trucks. What is "NORMAL"? I was once told it was a cycle on a clothes washer?

86RangerXL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
How accurate can "NORMAL" be? I am known as the stock gauge hater on another forum. And Ford is still doing it on the new trucks. What is "NORMAL"? I was once told it was a cycle on a clothes washer?
As long as the middle of norm is running at a normal temp, and past norm is actually overheating I'm fine with that.

86RangerXL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Or a poor engine ground, I should have thought of that earlier. That's one way the gas gauge could be accurate while the other 2 are high.
I never even thought of that, guessing that has something do to with my half-disintegrated negative battery terminal. Like I can't even tighten the terminal clamp bolt kind of disintegrated

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
A poor ground will increase resistance and resistance is what the sending units create to make the gauges work.

86RangerXL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I never even thought of that, guessing that has something do to with my half-disintegrated negative battery terminal. Like I can't even tighten the terminal clamp bolt kind of disintegrated
Replacing the ground terminal changed nothing

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
Check the other grounds too.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
There should be a ground strap attached from the firewall to the engine. On a 2.9 its bolted to the drivers side head in the back. If you have a 4 cylinder i dont know. But thats the ground for cab electronics.

Also since you have an 86 your gauges actually do "read" to a point. They are still unfourtantly dependent on voltage though.

It wasnt till mid year 87 they switched to the gauges that are idiot lights with a needle

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals