• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Exceeding payload capacity

94redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys I want to build an outdoor rink this year and I want to put a water tank in the box of my 94 extended cab (4.0L). I read the payload capacity is 1500 lbs. Can I exceed this and by how much. I am only going to be transferring water from my well to the rink which is only a 400 m trek in 4LO. Thanks!

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Just do it. 4 low, 1st gear. Don't be dumb about it, don't expect it to take off easily, and you sure as hell better not expect it to stop easily.

That's the reason I run Rangers and not S-10s, because I use them.

If it does seem excessive, use a trailer. Put the tank just forward of the axle.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
OK, lets look at this from a practical point of view. comparing the size of the bed in your truck and the fact that a gallon of water weighs ten pounds. What size tank will physically fit in your truck? I would guess that a two hundred gallon tank would be as big as you could fit in there and I don't see two thousand pounds being any kind of problem for an 8.8 axle. just my opinion but a few points to ponder.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
OK, lets look at this from a practical point of view. comparing the size of the bed in your truck and the fact that a gallon of water weighs ten pounds. What size tank will physically fit in your truck? I would guess that a two hundred gallon tank would be as big as you could fit in there and I don't see two thousand pounds being any kind of problem for an 8.8 axle.
Forgetting, of course, that the load-bearing components of the 7.5 and the 28-spline 8.8 are the same.

Here is what I think, and I'm a little surprised no one else has seen it yet either.

If you are putting the tank in your bed, to run water from your well, to your rink, about 1200 ft (400 meter) apart, why not just fill the tank part way, until it looks like the bed is really starting to sag down, and then stop putting water in it. I'd think it would be better to make a few extra trips than break the truck.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
There you go adsm, using logic again. :icon_thumby:

94redranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the input. I think Ill make a few trial runs progressively increasing the amount of water each time until I can see/feel the max weight amount. Worst case scenario I hi jack my brothers silverado!

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
I would vote for a trailer personally, that is if you're intent on shuttling it with your truck.

if you want to keep it going long term:

rent a trencher
buy a skid of this and a few appropriate fittings http://www.pexuniverse.com/1-2-pex-al-pex-tubing-500ft
and put in one of those freeze proof farm faucets.

It's called PEX-AL-PEX, pex is some nice stuff, and the sandwich of aluminum makes it much more stable for expandsion/contraction and I'm pretty certain this stuff is allowed to be buried. just make sure you're below the frost line. It also uses a compression fitting, so you don't need special tools like regular pex.

Edit: wrong link... really.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals