• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Everything I need to know about 351w swap

TexasRebel

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2006
Make / Model
Ford, Nissan
Engine Size
4.0 in both
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
You live every day, you only die once...
I've asked this before, but didn't get too much advice. I have a 89 f-250 donor truck. It has a 351w and c6 trans (don't want to keep). What I want/need to know is:

Best intake combo for efi?
Height problems with 3" body rise?
Can I use whole wiring harness and just cut it down to size for Ranger?
Best/cheapest tranny (prefer manual, but will take nice auto) and t-case for it?
Headers to use?

I will be doing some small performance stuff to it before throwing it in, but nothing major. Probably just a bigger cam, new lifters, push-rods, rockers, etc.

Any and all help is appreciated.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
The upper intake wont fit, so plan on replacing that. Usually you can get a 351w GT40 lower and use an explorer GT40 upper. The wiring can be cut down and used, just grab the EVTM for both. Headers are limited in selection, best to use log style manifolds....

SVT

TexasRebel

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2006
Make / Model
Ford, Nissan
Engine Size
4.0 in both
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
the upper intake wont fit, so plan on replacing that. Usually you can get a 351w gt40 lower and use an explorer gt40 upper. The wiring can be cut down and used, just grab the evtm for both. Headers are limited in selection, best to use log style manifolds....

Svt
evtm?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Electrical & Vacuum Trouble shooting Manual...

SVT

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good dimensions and mounting here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/V8Conversions.shtml

The 351w has the Ford small block bolt pattern, so you will need to get a trans and transfer case from a Ford F-150 with a small block V8, 5.0l or 4.2l.
I think the '97-'02 F-150 MD50R2 trans with BW4406 transfer case will fit between frame rails and the MD50R2 shifter is very close to Ranger shifter hole.

The BW4406 can be found with manual shifter which many prefer over electric shift.

TexasRebel

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2006
Make / Model
Ford, Nissan
Engine Size
4.0 in both
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Good dimensions and mounting here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/V8Conversions.shtml

The 351w has the Ford small block bolt pattern, so you will need to get a trans and transfer case from a Ford F-150 with a small block V8, 5.0l or 4.2l.
I think the '97-'02 F-150 MD50R2 trans with BW4406 transfer case will fit between frame rails and the MD50R2 shifter is very close to Ranger shifter hole.

The BW4406 can be found with manual shifter which many prefer over electric shift.
Thanks for the info. When all of the work begins, I will be on the hunt to see what I can find.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I've asked this before, but didn't get too much advice. I have a 89 f-250 donor truck. It has a 351w and c6 trans (don't want to keep). What I want/need to know is:

Best intake combo for efi?
Height problems with 3" body rise?
Can I use whole wiring harness and just cut it down to size for Ranger?
Best/cheapest tranny (prefer manual, but will take nice auto) and t-case for it?
Headers to use?

I will be doing some small performance stuff to it before throwing it in, but nothing major. Probably just a bigger cam, new lifters, push-rods, rockers, etc.

Any and all help is appreciated.

i assume its a 2wd 89 f250?

i would not mod the 351 at all past the recommended cam if you want to run the stock efi. with a 3 in b/l you can make the intake work, but the bc broncos piece is pretty cost effective unless you want big power. http://www.bcbroncos.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=131_108&products_id=1059

so you want to upgrade the powertrain and axles i assume from your other axle thread?

i suggest the 4.2 trans as mentioned with a chevy or dodge passenger drop t case with ford 31 spline input shaft...i have some spares if you use a 208 chevy or dodge t case, glo clock ring/spacer to suit and a setup of dana 44 or 60 8 lug chevy or dodge axles.

killer cost effective combo that is easy to source parts for.

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
Pretty much what already has been stated.

The stock efi manifold wont clear. Pretty much you can either buy a trickflow upper and lower, get the bc broncos adapter (most cost effective), or get a 351 gt40 lower and put an explorer gt40 upper on it (thats what I did, clears with a 2 inch body lift and lots of room to spare)
I built my own headers because most except the log style manifolds wont fit without heavy modifications to the frame or other areas.
Also if you are keeping the speed density efi, make sure your cam is compatible, SD does not like mods

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals