• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ever buy tools that you will probably never need?

Deftone

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I am putting together a petition for the suspension of a man-card..
I thought my 101st Airborne Air Assault school badge was my man card, but if you want to compare tool collections, I'm game. I have a completely tooled up Harrison 13" swing manual lathe, a Series one style Manual Mill with a DRO, X & Y power feed, rotary table, a stomp sheer, a finger brake, vertical band saw, drill press, welders, grinders, all types of power tools, probably 6 or 7 chain saws, a tile saw, table saws, radial arm saws, paint sprayers..... I just sold an ASV skid steer (needed some space) I can go on...

I thought we were just discussing hand tools.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
@Deftone I wouldn't take things so seriously... if we poke fun at members it's usually means you have been accepted and welcomed here. Nice tool collection and thanks for your service.

On a different note... I have to bust up some concrete and my sledge hammer is nowhere to be found. Lost in the move or lent out and never returned? Either way... I bought a new 10 lb. Sledge Hammer Yesterday.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
@Deftone I wouldn't take things so seriously... if we poke fun at members it's usually means you have been accepted and welcomed here. Nice tool collection and thanks for your service.

On a different note... I have to bust up some concrete and my sledge hammer is nowhere to be found. Lost in the move or lent out and never returned? Either way... I bought a new 10 lb. Sledge Hammer Yesterday.
Some days, there is nothing so satisfying as a BFH, even if it does involve manual labor.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I thought my 101st Airborne Air Assault school badge was my man card, but if you want to compare tool collections, I'm game. I have a completely tooled up Harrison 13" swing manual lathe, a Series one style Manual Mill with a DRO, X & Y power feed, rotary table, a stomp sheer, a finger brake, vertical band saw, drill press, welders, grinders, all types of power tools, probably 6 or 7 chain saws, a tile saw, table saws, radial arm saws, paint sprayers..... I just sold an ASV skid steer (needed some space) I can go on...

Damn, I wish you lived 2500 miles closer

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Interesting question... currently cleaning/re-organising the main tool room/work room in the shop/barn. This is the room where all projects seem to be done in. 3 tool boxes (1 is the roll around with the main sockets/wrenches and drivers) that get used where ever needed in the 5000 foot barn/garage. in the main room is the "special" tools... LOL that stuff that is talked about in this thread... I was just looking at some tools yesterday thinking to myself... have I ever used that yet??

Nope, but have it hanging on the hook board if/when i need it. All those special engine tools, odd ball whizzbangs for this and that. Multiple wrench sets just hanging from nails along the "1 side" of the room. a tool cabinet for just measuring tools, calipers, metal rulers, dial sets, locking scissor style clamps, a drawer for just those "altered wrenches" need a heated bent 1/2 to get into that hole? but don't toss it away after the sacrifice because you might just need it again?

Then there is Angie's sets of tools... I was tired of her using my stuff and not replacing them to home drawer. So a craigslist find got her a sale of a rolling chest and the guy was moving so it had a good supply of sockets and screwdrivers, best 200 dollar investment I have ever made. she now stays out of my stuff....

Don't get me started on the paint room or the spray booth area for bought tools ... "needed?" probably not, but we have it "if" we will ever need them... lol

The funniest thing is that.... if you were to keep a running log and write down every tool you use in a month, I would guess that these would be most used sizes/items.

3/8 , 7/16 1/2 9/16 ..... 10mm, 11, 12, 13, 14mm (socket and wrench) plus a few screw drivers, and a pair of pliers ....

everything else on the wall and shelf is just "my tool is bigger than yours"

lol cheers

Deftone

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Just poking back. All good here.

In regards to your hammer situation, I can't stand having to buy a tool when I know I already have one.

Deftone

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Interesting question... currently cleaning/re-organising the main tool room/work room in the shop/barn. This is the room where all projects seem to be done in. 3 tool boxes (1 is the roll around with the main sockets/wrenches and drivers) that get used where ever needed in the 5000 foot barn/garage. in the main room is the "special" tools... LOL that stuff that is talked about in this thread... I was just looking at some tools yesterday thinking to myself... have I ever used that yet??

Nope, but have it hanging on the hook board if/when i need it. All those special engine tools, odd ball whizzbangs for this and that. Multiple wrench sets just hanging from nails along the "1 side" of the room. a tool cabinet for just measuring tools, calipers, metal rulers, dial sets, locking scissor style clamps, a drawer for just those "altered wrenches" need a heated bent 1/2 to get into that hole? but don't toss it away after the sacrifice because you might just need it again?

Then there is Angie's sets of tools... I was tired of her using my stuff and not replacing them to home drawer. So a craigslist find got her a sale of a rolling chest and the guy was moving so it had a good supply of sockets and screwdrivers, best 200 dollar investment I have ever made. she now stays out of my stuff....

Don't get me started on the paint room or the spray booth area for bought tools ... "needed?" probably not, but we have it "if" we will ever need them... lol

The funniest thing is that.... if you were to keep a running log and write down every tool you use in a month, I would guess that these would be most used sizes/items.

3/8 , 7/16 1/2 9/16 ..... 10mm, 11, 12, 13, 14mm (socket and wrench) plus a few screw drivers, and a pair of pliers ....

everything else on the wall and shelf is just "my tool is bigger than yours"

lol cheers
Add 8mm to that list (I have a bunch of motorcycles) Also Torx for the KTM's. I have three KTM's so I always need Torx drives.

Current project: 1190 ADV needs new fork seals & a new front tire.

20211005_162748.jpg

I have inch/lb torque wrenches for the triple clamps and foot/lbs torque wrenches for the axle nut, pinch bolts...I don't have a tool to press in the new fork seals, but I have turned them on the lathe before for other bikes. I do have a tire stand (Harbor Freight) and spoons but no way to balance. I'll probably take in the tire & wheel and the forks and have them serviced after I remove them.

I wouldn't mind having a better tire machine for the dirt bike tires. They don't need balancing + you can flip the rear and get more life out of it.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

I have a hammer... And a screw driver.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
If you can’t fix it with a hammer... you’ve got an electrical problem.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Ive “modified “ a few tools here & there for specific uses, such as welding a 8mm socket to a allen wrench for a bleeder wrench, grinding down a specific 1/4” socket to remove a tfi module, heating & bending a cheap china 9/16 wrench for a distributor wrench. Still have them, the distributor wrench hasnt seen use in quite a while though.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I think there was a thread about custom tools awhile back. That's a whole other can of germs. I've actually taken tools that I made, and modified them to have multiple, not so common, purposes.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I am probably going to own all of the tools in the entire Milwaukee M18 ecosystem whether I need them or not.

I currently have the drill, impact driver, Sawzall, angle grinder, and leaf blower.
Better get cracking, you barely have the essentials kit. I’m up to the basic contractors kit after getting the remodelers kit :icon_rofl:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals