• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Escape wheel bearings. yuk.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Well just dropped off the 2011 awd escape for a diagnostic, Im thinking its wheel bearings, specifically the rear. has a rumbling noise above 35 and really sounds scary at 55. Odd thing is it started all of a sudden. Saturday we were coming home (about 40 miles away at that) down a unfamiliar back road, I hit a big bump in the road that I didnt see, at speed. may have got air time, idk. Thats when the noise started. I was worried it wouldn’t make it home. It did though. jacked up each end at at time, theres some play in the back wheels, none up front except for my left front tie rod. Rear diff full of oil though I see where right side halfshaft seal is leaking. Looked up utube videos, saw tools I dont have & my compressor isnt big enough to support a impact. As much as I hate to I think its a good move to let someone else do it, my luck Id get it half apart and be stuck- with it tore half apart and not moveable. Wish it had hub-unit bearings like the front of a S-blazer or honda uses. But nope, really cussing the fully independent rear now, my solid axle 4.10 in the ranger has over 200K with original bearings. Guess I wait on that phone call for a verdict. I know this setup would need bearings eventually, at least the fronts I can get a complete knuckle/bearing/hub assembly.
One really weird thing, on the way into town the noise just stopped for no reason, at 55. but once I was in town it was there rumbling at 35.

Last edited:

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Got it back yesterday, $1400 & change. Ive not drove it yet but Im sure she would of told me if there was any noise still there. From what I was told there was some difficulties taking it apart from rust issues. Money well spent though, and certainly wasnt driveable the way it was. Next its needing new “non-winter” tires. Bought some new steel rims a couple of months ago. Nothing special, just stock steel wheels like the original spare.
200A12A7-8CD5-4D01-8CFA-09745CE4D9DC.jpeg
DA93D937-E23F-4157-9209-C7A733D55161.jpeg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals