• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Erratic Temp Gauge help

Max R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So I just recently noticed something strange with my '97 Ford Ranger. While driving home from work on the highway the other day, my temp gauge needle rose all the way to the red and the warning Check Gauge light came on. The instant the light came on the gauge went back down to the normal operating temp and the rest of the drive home was uneventful. No steam, no problems with the engine seizing up, so I figured it couldn't actually be the engine overheating.
Ever since, the needle will rise to ALMOST all the way up and then settle back down to normal after ~10 minutes of driving or so.

The needle will rise regardless of if i'm idling or driving at residential or highway speeds.
My coolant levels are fine and there doesn't seem to be any signs of a leak.

Any ideas as to what this might be? My thought is that it could be a bad thermostat but I'm not sure. Thanks guys!

Ruffinit

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
It'll have to take a bit more looking, but from what you've stated, it very well could be a sticking thermostat. It'll take 30 minutes max to change it out (when it's cold) and cost you $15-25 with the O ring included. Use the factory temp thermostat. You don't need to drain your coolant, just put a big pan under the truck to catch what will come out (which won't be much).

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If it only happens when engine is warming up, i.e. t-stat opening for the first time then yes, replace thermostat, 192degF or 195degF for Fords, not 180degF, cooler is not better for engine, just FYI

If it happens after warm up, temp gauge needle randomly goes up and down, then it is the cooling system by-pass valve or heater core, it is getting clogged up.

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Time to back flush your cooling system, then watch the temp gauge...when my thermostat went south it would rise and fall, rise and fall...so did the thermostat and temp sensor together. Note: go easy on the thermostat housing bolts, one of mine popped free but the other broke off flush...my fav mech had to get it out and install a helicoil...let both soak first in penetrating oil, then rock both back and forth to make sure they loosen correctly.

hank857

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had same problem, just tightened the crimp on the plug at the sender. I had replaced the sender and it still did it so all I could figure was a wire issue. No problems after tightening, but like anything else it could be just about anything from tstat as noted. But I would play with the wire 1st or even change the sensor, they have a tendency to go bad after a while.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals