• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

erratic tach

Slammin Sam

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The tach on my 89 B2 occasionally shows higher rpms than the engine is turning. I first noticed it occasionally when the cruise was engaged. Lately it has happened without cruise on. All the other gauges are behaving as expected. What should I look for?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1989 Tach signal comes from TFI module or the "-" side of coil.

Look here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Tachwiring.shtml

Looks like 1990 and up mostly used a Tan wire for tach signal, but 1989 2.9l shows Green wire.

I would check coil and TFI module on distributor for that wire and make sure it is not frayed.

Cruise uses the Speed sensor so no connection to Tach system except for what all systems in the truck have in common........Grounds, so could have a loose ground in the cable.
Has there been in water intrusion in to the cab in the past?

Also check the Ground strap the runs from the back of the Drivers side head to the firewall, make sure it is clean and tight, thats the main ground for the cab electrics

Last edited:

Slammin Sam

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the input Ron. Before I had a chance to check the ground, the drivers seat recliner took a dump, so the B2 is parked until I have time to try to fix it. Factory manual says "no replaceable parts" and to buy the whole unit to repair. Its the split bench and not worth repairing. I guess I'll be finding those buckets sooner than I'd planned.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals