• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Erratic idle and wont rev up very well at all

Flatbedder81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all. I have a 1988 ford ranger xlt 4x4 with auto trans and 2.9 v6. It has devoloped a condition that has me stumped. It starts up pretty easily, but will quickly start idling very erratic. And is very hard to Rev up as the idle cuts out the whole way up the rpm band. Here is a list of everything I have done to the truck so far

-new o2 sensor
-new iac valve
-new intake air charge temp sensor
-new coolant temp sensor
-I rebuilt the distributor with new hall effect sensor, rotor and cap and retimed to 10 btdc
-new plugs and wires
-new ignition module
-new coil pack
-refurbished injectors
-new Delphi in tank fuel pump and sender
-new fpr
-new fuel filter
-new ecm

I have a new Delphi high pressure in line fuel pump on the way. This problem is driving me crazy and I am tired of throwing parts at it. Could this be a fuel problem? Any help is appreciated

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Have you taken a fuel pressure reading? Sure could be fuel related. My F150 did this years ago, would run OK at idle but would cut out and sputter anywhere past that, especially under load. It was a weak high pressure fuel pump. Very odd problem, 99% of the fuel pump failures I've seen result in a pump that is just stone dead.

Might be worth taking a compression test too, just to rule out a burnt valve, cracked head, etc.

Flatbedder81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I did do a key on engine off check and got a low reading, like 29-30 psi so that is why I ordered the new in line pump. Hopefully this is my issue. This is a very nice truck that I bought from an old man that had sat for almost 15 years with very little to no use and is near mint. So I would like for it to run as good as it looks! And this has been a gradual issue, started as a small miss here and there and has developed into it being un driveable at this point. I haven't done a compression check, but it sound pretty good cranking, so I'm pretty sure I don't have a dead cylinder. But I reckon I should try and do one.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The problem with those trucks that sit forever with little use is that pretty much all the rubber dry rots. Seals, gaskets, hoses etc. Having a weak pump wouldn't surprise me if it say dry.

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
Could be a vacuum leak no? My first 2.9 ran that way and I found the one of the unused ports on the UIM didn't have a cap.

Flatbedder81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The hoses all look good and I used an unlit propane torch around all the normal leak spots and couldn't find a leak.

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
Hopefully it's that pump. Let us know for when (not if) this happens to me

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Try taking a fuel pressure reading while it's running, should be around 30psi at idle and will come up to 40 briefly when you crack the throttle open (low vacuum scenario.) Low reading indicates a supply issue, high indicates FPR problem but you replaced that.

Any codes present? CEL does not necessarily need to be illuminated in these trucks for codes to be present

Flatbedder81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Okay....went ahead and replaced HP fuel pump. Cleaned all grounds again. Took the alternator wire harness completely off and inspected and wrapped with new electrical tape reinstalled. STILL having the same problem. It will mot Rev past 2k without throwing a huge fit, cutting out and almost sounding like I'm losing all electrical power. Tried using a brand new battery, no change. It will idle just fine, and it runs perfect with the alternator unplugged. It has a brand new alternator with new regulator. I had it tested at autozone and tested good. And I've tested it, it is putting out 14.4 volts at idle.

Flatbedder81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Also...bought a scan tool, no codes. Getting an 11 every time

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If the truck sat for a while I would suspect the injectors and fuel system in general. Are you sure the refurbished injectors are working right? I once had a refurbished injector that would occasionally stick open. And refurbished only means cleaned (to varying degrees) and new o-rings (for the most part).
Also, are you certain you got the injector wiring harness connected to the right injectors on cylinders 2 & 5? Cylinders 1, 4, and 2 are on bank 1, and cylinders 5, 3, and 6 are on bank 2.

Flatbedder81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
If it were the injectors, then why would it run perfect with alternator unplugged?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Injectors are powered by electricity?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I wonder if you could watch the voltage at say, the coil? while you rev up the engine with the alternator plugged in. Sure sounds to me like it's feeding back into something. Running on just battery power would stabilize the voltage to everything.

This reminds me of a bad alternator I had in my Explorer. I actually had it rebuilt right before a big trip I went on just because it had a ton of miles on it... I had a weird problem with my headlights and dash lights flickering if the engine was under a significant load. Ended up being a bad voltage regulator. They only caught it when the shop hooked it up to their oscilloscope and saw a tiny fluctuation.

Paulos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987 STX
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I guess I didn't read the part about it running perfect with the alternator disconnected :huh:. Well, at least that narrows it down to an electrical problem. Have you checked the connectors that are on the drivers side inner wheel well. The insulation on the wires there have a tendency to shrink and have been known to cause problems.
Have you tested the voltage output of the alternator as you're attempting to rev it (at least 1800 rpm)? Also, when you check the voltage, check for AC voltage. If you have any AC voltage it's the alternator. I just read that a shorted diode in the alternator will introduce AC voltage. Real bad for your electronics, and not necessarily detectable when testing the alternator at your local auto parts store. It's too bad you don't have an old spare alternator to try a swap.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals