• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Environmentalists Oppose New Co2 Scrubber Idea

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
ENVIRONMENTALISTS OPPOSE NEW CO2 SCRUBBER IDEA
Scientists at Columbia University are developing a carbon dioxide (CO2) scrubber device that removes one ton of CO2 from the air every day, says the Heartland Institute.

While some see the scrubber as an efficient and economical way to reduce atmospheric carbon dioxide, many environmentalists oppose the technology because it allows people to use fossil fuels and emit carbon in the first place.

According to Columbia University physicist Klaus Lackner, who is leading the research team:

Producing a large number of CO2 scrubbers can keep to a minimum any rise in atmospheric CO2 without the economically painful elimination of inexpensive energy sources.
This technology would allow people to use fossil fuels, which they will be using anyway, without destroying the planet.
Environmental activist groups such as Greenpeace have consistently opposed similar technologies, such as carbon capture and sequestration, because they do not address what they see as the root of the problem, says the Heartland Institute.

"This is just one more piece of evidence that environmentalists aren't concerned about solving a problem," said Sterling Burnett, a senior fellow with the National Center for Policy Analysis. "Every problem, as they see it, is one way to restrict people's lifestyles, and if you come up with a technological fix that can solve a problem but doesn't require sacrifice and lets us go about our business the way we were before, they're not happy about it, even if it solves the problem."

Source: Krystle Russin, "Environmentalists Oppose New CO2 Scrubber Idea," Heartland Institute

http://www.ncpa.org/sub/dpd/index.php?Article_ID=16822

reginald fairfield

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter FF
Transmission
Manual
Environmentalists are completely out of touch with reality. They would rather my family starve because of high food and gas prices then drive cars. :mad: Only rich people have the time or money to worry about shit like that, While the rest of the lower class is just trying to make a living. Being concerned about the environment is a luxury, not mandatory. All these stupid city-folk dumb blonde types are the ones causing all the pain. Screw 'em all.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Greenpeace? Yeah, they stand for all environmentalists. Greenpeace and the ELF. Not.

Sounds like a decent idea to me, after only reading most of the original post. I like the idea of purchasing Clean Energy Credits (the term varies) in an effort to be Carbon Neutral. At least for the foreseeable future, if not indefinitely, they will be no way around using fossil fuels.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
i'de rather plant a few trees(i've cut down more than my share)

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Waitaminit...

The headline says environmentalists oppose a specific new idea, but the article says environmentalists oppose "similar" technologies? If there are any similar technologies, there is no news.

Might want to get your news from someplace other than the Propaganda^H^H^H^H^H^H Heartland Institute.

It's called attacking a straw-man.

SOME sequestration technologies have a problem guaranteeing the carbon actually stays sequestered.

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
I admit, its sorta a half brain ideal.And no real use for it anyhow.As CO2 is NOT the big bad global warming agent its made out to be. And would be just anouther drain on the ecomny.But just shows there is no way to find a happy medium with the enviormental-nazi's.After all, if one out of 3 failed to contain the co2 would that not be better than nothing at all.If it was a problem to start with?

Or myabe that's problem.They do know that co2 is not the problem and that would shoot a big hole in thier foot with even more proof.

Propaganda and what do you call "Man caused global warming" from co2?

I think I will belive in 400 scientists over some carbon credit,pocket padding hyprocrite.
http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.SenateReport#report

Environmental activist groups such as Greenpeace have consistently opposed "similar" technologies, such as carbon capture and sequestration.

yes, and all tires are "similar" in the fact they are round.But they don't all perform the same.now do they?

SOME sequestration technologies have a problem guaranteeing the carbon actually stays sequestered.
I can see the argument in that.Cause Al gore would proably sale them off to the highest bidder.sarcausm dont get huffy....But is there a 100 gaurntee that me and you are killing the world with driving in our dino power trucks?.....
but propaganda sure is making it costly in a politcial sense.Thats the only gaurntee so far.
So if 1 out of 3 worked 100% would that not be better than nothing? IF there was really even a need?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

sunk, if you do, make sure to write Mr carbon footprint and ask him why he is not on the "clean" foot print electric plan then.Or atleast ask him to pay the diffrence in what your bill will be. And Why he must use so much electricty.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

skippy thanks for the link.I owe you a beer for that!take alook at the link I posted above, looks like a few agree with him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Rick I agree,and would.But CDF or what ever they are called now, say trees are evil and I must cut them down.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

fair,if all us common lower class starve to death then we don't create no more co2 from breathing.Then gore has a bigger carbon foot print to sale.

I feel the same way as you.politics & enov's at thier best.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a discalmier here on my rant's of a post.I don't think all evno's are bad.I mean I would not want my bay's to look or stink like hong kong's.I love wild life,I love a nice clean moutian to go snow boarding on,and I like a little fresh air here and there mixed in with my burnt fuel smell.(what can I say, I enjoy the smell of burnt diesel and the raw exuast smell from a built motor.)

But this Gore-blah warming crap is a joke.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
So, your argument is that Al Gore is a hypocrite, so there is no global warming?

Maybe you know something about logic that no one else does? Or are you just FOS.

Like it or not there are several independent confirmations of global warming. It IS happening. If you think it's propaganda, you can pitch your tent at the North Pole and hope to God you don't drown when the ice melts THIS SUMMER, something that hasn't been seen there in at least 400 years (and probably much longer).

So tell us, what's your evidence that carbon dioxide isn't to blame? SKIP the political BS. That is a MINORITY REPORT. You expect unadulterated information from that? You go to the Republicans for scientific information? The statements are VERY CLEARLY cherry picked. IPCC represents the state of the field; OF COURSE there is some dissent. The statements here do not represent the majority expert view. That's IPCC, and it's exactly why IPCC exists.

And you did read the report, right? It doesn't claim that global warming isn't happening. It's about the severity and cause.

reginald fairfield

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter FF
Transmission
Manual
I say f@ck it. I have always wanted some Ocean Front Property In Arizona.

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::woot:

From my front porch, I will be able to see the sea....

Iron Ranger

Run lil' ricer RUN!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
0.040 punched 302
Transmission
Manual
Well, it's the same thing with emissions standards for the newer diesel trucks. The average Powerstroke, Duramax, Cummins, etc. has a loss of 5-8 mpg due to the smog components choking the engine, the same goes for semi trucks. Now how does burning more fuel reduce overall emissions?:icon_confused:

Wouldn't it make more sense to make vehicles more fuel efficient to save on emissions? I mean, unless you're burning pure french fry oil :drool:, you're never gonna get a perfect diesel exhaust

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Well, it's the same thing with emissions standards for the newer diesel trucks. The average Powerstroke, Duramax, Cummins, etc. has a loss of 5-8 mpg due to the smog components choking the engine, the same goes for semi trucks. Now how does burning more fuel reduce overall emissions?:icon_confused:

Wouldn't it make more sense to make vehicles more fuel efficient to save on emissions? I mean, unless you're burning pure french fry oil :drool:, you're never gonna get a perfect diesel exhaust
Well does less dirty exhaust pollute more than more clean exhaust? Depends how you look at it, but probably not when you factor in all the extra energy required to refine the extra gas, transport it, bla bla bla... I'm sure it's more complicated than that though.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Well does less dirty exhaust pollute more than more clean exhaust? Depends how you look at it, but probably not when you factor in all the extra energy required to refine the extra gas, transport it, bla bla bla... I'm sure it's more complicated than that though.
actually its not. but it goes to the point of this thread. total sickness.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
If you think it's propaganda, you can pitch your tent at the North Pole and hope to God you don't drown when the ice melts THIS SUMMER, something that hasn't been seen there in at least 400 years (and probably much longer).

food for thought.

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
now where did I say, "no such thing as global warming"?makg....

All this "man" made from co2 gore-blah warming I call bullshit on.If it was from co2, why didnt this rock we are on burn up in the 60's and 70's. when there were cars/industral that made MUCH more nox,co's and HC's back then?

Did fred flinstone cause global warming back in 800-1000 ad?or are we allowed to only go back 400 years?

what about the 30's when temps were warmer than now,and less ice then now in the artic?

then I have to question "man made" gore-blah warming again, with Mars, Pluto, Triton and Jupiter warming....

then you have Milankovitch theroy, of the earth axis "wobbles"

Im far from a expert, but I have burnt ant's with a mag. glass as a kid,at 9am one hill would get it,and one hill would get it at 11am.had to wait for the sun rays to move over to get the 11am hill.cause at 9am the rays were in the wrong spot for the 11am hill.
Maybe I'll go be a kid again and try buring ants in a tail pipe's shot.and see if it makes the ants burn faster/hotter.

and what about solar flares?...nah, can't be, no way for any one to make money off the theroy....

As I can see, the people of Nasa could never make a mistake,read in to what they want and jump to conclution and be FOS....could they makg.

what about the 70's when nasa said we were in global cooling? Must have got his info from a republican model theroy?

and I bet offroad experts could never make a mistake ethier from not knowing ,the early mid 90;s ...4.56 gears,31's 2.3 ranger D/D.Had about 10 shops refuse the work, told me I would blow up the first time I hit the freeway, and only get 10mpg if I was lucky,40,000 miles later at 20mpg avg .And now its pretty much the norm.

once upon a time the earth was flat too....

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
NASA said the earth was cooling?

Provide citations.

NASA has no position (though they really should) because if they did the Bush Administration would look like they are lying....

You're talking out of your rear. Milankovich cycles have been discredited for over 50 years. The data does not support it.

And you go back 400 years for the polar ice cap because that's how long people have been trying to take ships there (well, a *bit* longer). There are much longer records in Greenland ice.

Gore did not do this research. He is a communicator.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals