• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engineers!

94STXRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 302
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys,
I am writing a research paper for my mechanical engineering class and need to ask a mech. engineer a few questions. If there are any on here besides JohnnyU, could you guys help me out and post some answers to a few questions?
If there is anyone who could help me out please post up. I appreciate it!

Questions:
Where do you work and what do you do?
What engineering jobs have you held?
Where did you go to school, and are you licensed?
What are some of the things you do during your day?
What is your favorite part about your job?
What is your least favorite part about your job?
What advice do you have as far as school is concerned for engineering?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
ok, I'll bite...

I work at KEM Equipment in Tualatin Oregon, we built engines for industrial applications (anything from generators to fork trucks) and marine engines for jet boats. We start with new GM long blocks and add fuel systems and in many cases a full turn key engine. I got hired to run the dynos and run related equipment, with the economy as bad as it is I'm now the head calibrator since I'm cheaper... I get to calibrate fuel, spark and O2 control on mainly the industrial side of things, right now I'm working on an LP injected 8.1L engine that puts out 500ftlb of torque at 800rpm and 540 at 3000rpm

this is my first and only engineering job, been in it for 3 years 6 months after I graduated

I went to school at Oregon State University, I opted not to take the FE exam to get the liscence, doesn't matter for where I am. My degree is in Mechanical Engineering

like I said above, I calibrate engines, draw up wiring diagrams, make the prototype engine wiring harnesses and do the other little wiring things, run the emissions equipment, help the others with service, that's most of it.

my favorite part is making new stuff and calibrating engines

least favorite part is the stress that comes about a lot of times

as far as school, study hard, keep up on homework even though it isn't fun, and don't forget to have some fun to keep yourself sane, and don't sell back the important books, keep them around for reference, engineers aren't paid to know everything (well, to a certain extent, if you deal with it all the time you should know it) they just need to have a general idea of what's going on and know what to look up

partsguy84823

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, I'm CE (computer engineering), so I can't help you out too much. But I was curious as to where in KC you are. I'm from the KC area, and all around Kansas really.

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I just started the MET program here at Metro State. Ill be building these someday....

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
you should deffinately not put this paper online on a blog... I might need to borrow it for college next semester. ;)

94STXRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 302
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys i really appreciate your responses. If you dont mind Scott I may use your responses. I am from the north KC area. By I-29 and 152. You guys wont believe this but two of my brothers were out hunting this evening, They were walking back to our house, about a quarter mile away, on a gravel road. The sun was still up and both of them were wearing orange head to toe. One of them had a rifle and the other didnt. As they were walking a bullet ricochets through my younger brothers pants. Next thing they know the both collapse as a bullet gets both of them in the leg. One has to have surgery for broken bones in his knee. The younger is ok with only a wound in and out of his calf. The cops are still looking for the shooter, but he probably left. So i wont be doing the paper tonight, but again thanks for the help.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
Wow, that's terrible! Hopefully they catch the guy, and can find out what happened.

Hope your brothers are alright too, that's a bit scary!:shok:

94STXRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 302
Transmission
Manual
They are good so far. One is back home and the other is in surgery to work on his broken tibia. So far they havent found anything. They had our grandfather at the police department for four hours questioning him because he had been hunting. He was not in a position to accidently do this, but they still kept him. We sure hope they find them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals