• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine..... uhhh improvements?

theGreatDane

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 1971
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6, 302 V8
Transmission
Manual
I am going to replace the lifters pretty soon in my 99 4.0. While i have everything apart, i wanted to maybe get a little more of an aggressive cam. I have been reading about the comp cams 410.

is this really my only option? I am very new to this, as this will be my first project of this scale.

Is there a kit for sale anywhere that has the cam, springs and pushrods all together?

Any info on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
I signed up at the Comp Cam website......it has tons of info & I think it has a forum.....check out thoroughly before you buy anything....please don't get a radical cam (if they offer one)....stay mild.....

I went with a slightly different ratio rocker arms instead of a cam on my V8.... got an instant 20% increase in power (of course, my stock engine was pretty weak to start with) but the increased performance was a kick!

For you, new lifters & a better cam might be the answer...wait for other members to respond......

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You can have a custom cam ground, but like what doorgunner said, not too radical or drive-ability will suffer. Try camcraft, colt cams, tom morana, even some other cam manufacturers, I am sure there are more that will make you one.

If you get a cam ground off the base circle, get pushrods later and measure the length to figure out the correct length once the engine is together. www.pushrods.net

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Give a company like Comp Cams a call...have all the info on your truck ready then do what they advise. I have picked a crappy cam for the motor I had and it sucked....I have also picked a cam that worked great,well the one picked by the place I got the crate motor anyway. Computer controlled motors are really picky about the cam. A cam that looks a lot like a stock cam on paper can still increase power and mpg by how it's ground (opening and closing rates).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals