• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

engine ticks at idle but stops at 2200 rpms

Heavyfire14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 2002 mazda b2300 with a 2.3l duratec. it sounds like it has a tick at idle but stops ticking at 2200 rpms. is this normal?? it has done this since i got it,

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
How many miles are on it? If it's bad, give it an adjustment and replacement what's needed. Get some feeler gauges and check the lifter gap after removing your valve cover. I don't recall what the tolerance should be, but they'll probably be out of spec.

However, if it doesn't bother you, then just continue driving on it. The 4.0L OHV are notorious for this similar lifter tap, and they function fine/as normal with the ticking sound at idle as well.

Heavyfire14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
it has 89,xxx on it. its not a loud tick, i dont mind it either. i know my 2.9 had a tick too (wich they are known to do) but i was just wandering if the 4 cylendars are known for doing this too or if it was something serious. it drives and runs fine, so im just not gonna mess with it

nb11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Mine does the same thing... 154xxx miles. It ticks at idle but runs smooth as can be up to 5500 rpms. However, I have heard that adding a little automatic trans fluid to the oil before an oil change clears out any gunk that may cause stuff to stick/tick.

kditchley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.7 289c.i.
Transmission
Automatic
Mine doesn't tick at idle... Mine starts ticking when i get around 3300 rpms. But as long as i stay below 3000 rpms it don't tick what so ever.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals