• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine takes multiple turns to start

Airmaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda,
Chevy
Engine Size
3.0L Stick, 3.6L Stick
Transmission
Manual
Hello guys, long time since I've had time to come on here but I have a little bit of an issue that has been consistently annoying me.

When I start the truck it does not want to start right away. It turns over for anywhere between 2 and 5 seconds and then finally lights off.

If I turn it off once running and turn it back on right away it does not hesitate anymore and starts right up. So I'm thinking it could possibly be fuel pressure...

It is not the battery, because I have just recently replaced it and have already tested it a few times. And its not the starter's fault because it turns over on demand, just doesn't want to fire up right away.

I'm going to have to fix it when I get off some time for winter break, in the meantime any suggestions as to what the problem is are welcomed. Thanks guys! :icon_thumby:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Check fuel pressure bleed down over night. If it bleeds off all the pressure over night your check valve is bad.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would get a spray can of "quick start" or any starting fluid.
Before starting truck one morning spray some in the intake.
If it fires up then you will know the problem is fuel related.
If it still cranks a bit before starting then it is a spark problem.

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Along the lines of fuel pressure bleed down, turn your ignition key to the on position and let it sit for 5 or 6 seconds to build up fuel pressure before you crank it over. If it fires right up then it's probably fuel related... either bleed down or the pump itself.

Airmaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda,
Chevy
Engine Size
3.0L Stick, 3.6L Stick
Transmission
Manual
Check fuel pressure bleed down over night. If it bleeds off all the pressure over night your check valve is bad.
Do I just check the pressure at the schrader valve on the fuel rail?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, hook your pressure tester to the rail valve, get the engine running, then shut it off, wait 1 minute, note the pressure, then leave it for 8 hours and compare the pressure readings.

Airmaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda,
Chevy
Engine Size
3.0L Stick, 3.6L Stick
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, hook your pressure tester to the rail valve, get the engine running, then shut it off, wait 1 minute, note the pressure, then leave it for 8 hours and compare the pressure readings.
Sweet, I'll see how this goes.

Thanks for the other tips guys. The starter fluid sounds like a quick way to find out if its fuel or spark. That'll be my next test if the pressure test is inconclusive.

And I did put the ignition to the on position for a few seconds, then I started it up, went a bit better but it still wasn't firing up like it should. Took like 2 or 3 turns instead of the 4 to 6, but when it's starting well, it fires immediately.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals