• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

engine swap questions....

Kyle M.

GOING FOR BROKE
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Can I swap out my 2.3 and drop in a 4.0? Is the frame the same? Thanks

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
frame should be the same or close enough (might have to drill some holes) but you will have to change the engine wiring (one from the same year would make things easy), exhaust and transmission.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
The only difference in ranger frames are 2wd to 4wd. The 2.3's use a different type of motor mount vs. the 3.0's or 4.0's.

So basically, if you wanted to, you could. What year are you swapping into what year?

Kyle M.

GOING FOR BROKE
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
93 into a 93

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like it'll be a breeze. Just get as much of the wiring from the donor as you can.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Swap everything right over.

The frame wiring, cab wiring, and dash are the same. Unplug the engine harness at the cannon plug, and PCM plug......unplug all the way around to the passenger side to about the overfill tank. Lift out. Take 2.3 PCM out. Replace with 4.0 PCM. Lay 4.0 harness in. Plug back in.

The mechanical stuff? Exhaust, radiator, trans, w/ proper harness, fuel lines, motor mounts (you'll have to grind the 2.3 mounts out as they are riveted in), and maybe a few other bits, but it'll be a breeze as far as engine swaps go.

PM me if you need anymore help. I've been through enough 93-94' trucks it's not even funny. I also have a 93' Ford EVTM. Very helpful for wiring and such.

Good luck:icon_thumby:

badmts

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you have money,time,tools experience,a place to do it,helpers and all the parts lined up yeah it's a "BREEZE":icon_rofl:If you take ONE of those items out of the equasion it gets hard in a hurry-take out TWO items and its another "Too many projects must sell" craigslist ad.I am not a hater I am a REALIST -we do about 4-5 engines a year,mostly stock but a few were hot rod stuff for employees-350 into jeep-350 into s10-347 stroker into 88 notch and right now I am up grading my 86 ranger 2.3 to a 2.55L stroker via 2.5 crank and rods,.040" overbore and bigger cam and injectors.

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Honestly the big bitch is just removing the old crap.
Every V8 swap I have done in a Ranger or Bronco 2 were all the same. The hardest part was removing the old. You always have to grind things that are riveted in place ( THANK YOU UNCLE FORD ! ) and you will go through a case of liquid wrench and PB blast before its over. But after all the old is broken loose and out its cake.

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
If you have money,time,tools experience,a place to do it,helpers and all the parts lined up yeah it's a "BREEZE":icon_rofl:If you take ONE of those items out of the equasion it gets hard in a hurry-take out TWO items and its another "Too many projects must sell" craigslist ad.I am not a hater I am a REALIST -we do about 4-5 engines a year,mostly stock but a few were hot rod stuff for employees-350 into jeep-350 into s10-347 stroker into 88 notch and right now I am up grading my 86 ranger 2.3 to a 2.55L stroker via 2.5 crank and rods,.040" overbore and bigger cam and injectors.
There is so much stuff written about this swap that it really is a breeze. It is possible to do this job by yourself as long as you have the right tools, but it's always easier with an assistant. I can't imagine starting this job without having the parts you're going to need (fall back to all the swap info for a list). If you attempt to do any job of this size and be in a hurry, it's a recipe for disaster. Take your time, take pictures for referencing, go step by step and you will get it done right the first time.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
What REALLY helps is that it's a 3rd gen-A to 3rd Gen-A (I say A because there is really 2 versions of 3rd gens, one being 93-94 and the other being 95-97'). It's like legos. That easy, but there CAN be some snags.

That's what TRS is for. You have people like me who's had their hands on all 3 engines, and has personally had harnesses out of all 3. There are differences, I may not be able to recall all off the top of my head, but a question will more tan likely trigger my brain to shuffle through the "dusty files", and retrieve the correct answer.

I'd almost consider myself a self-proclaimed 93'-94' "expert".....lol

Kyle M.

GOING FOR BROKE
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I have 2 trucks, so parts aren't an issue. Thanks everybody! I will be posting pictures of everything in the under construction section since this will be a full build if you wanna follow.

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
sorry to jump into this thread without answers, but i had a question on the swap

so i think i read that you have to pop out the motor mounts? do you just get the motor mounts that work with the 4.0 and place them to the frame?

how much metal fab work is required when doing this swap?

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
The 2.3 hydro mounts are just riveted, you pop the rivets, remove them and put in the solid rubber 4.0 mounts. I don't think one would even have to drill in order to fit the 4.0 mounts, but that may be a possibility, but not difficult.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
Good you have an extra truck to work with since no one mentioned that the 2.3 dosen't share a bell housing with any of the 6 cylinders. So you'll need the trans out of the 4.0 as well.

edit- except for scott missed that in his post at first.

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
If you do have to drill through the engine cradle... God help you and your poor drill bits.
I have a lot of experience drilling through B2 and ranger frames relocating cross members back a few inches for auto and manual trans V8 swaps and relocating engine mounts via drilling through the engine cradle for the V8 mounts..... All I can say is be prepared for sore fore arms, hands and have at least 4 spares of the same size bits you'll be using along with plenty of coolant/lube if you have to drill. As already mentioned though you may not have to at all ?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals