• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine swap questions

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
abject horror....

ron d brings the strong kung fu! thanks ron d.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
abject horror....

ron d brings the strong kung fu! thanks ron d.
Ah so bobby :icon_thumby: :icon_rofl:

Yes, just because you have a bowl of corn flakes and a bottle of soy sauce doesn't mean you have to put the soy sauce on the corn flakes
You could trade the bottle of soy sauce for some milk and have a good breakfast,....................grasshopper

Because what you got ain't always what you need

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Ah so bobby :icon_thumby: :icon_rofl:

Yes, just because you have a bowl of corn flakes and a bottle of soy sauce doesn't mean you have to put the soy sauce on the corn flakes
You could trade the bottle of soy sauce for some milk and have a good breakfast,....................grasshopper

Because what you got ain't always what you need
I truely dont even understand the point of this...

The dude asked about how to swap a 3.0 in place of a 2.3, not really if he should do it or not, so therefore i offered up what little i know about this swappage...

and thats the bottom line cause rusty said so!

(sorry, WWF/E refrence, its a guilty pleasure, sue me :icon_hornsup:)

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Ron has provided lots of detailed swap info. Several people, including Ron, made suggestions about alternate/better choices. Seems like a pretty solid outcome on a public forum.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Ron has provided lots of detailed swap info. Several people, including Ron, made suggestions about alternate/better choices. Seems like a pretty solid outcome on a public forum.

Ok then.

I still dont get why yall think keeping a 2.3 is better then a 3.0, but, to each their own.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I think the 3.0 is a disappointing engine if you've taken the time to do a complete swap. Consider the options:

1) Swap in a used 2.3. Easy to find and relatively cheap, and it's a direct swap. Sell the 3.0 to offset.
2) Swap in the 3.0 you've got. You have all the pieces, but you have to mix and match everything, so it's going to take a while. Because it's an OBD-II engine, it isn't really designed to be a clean swap in an earlier OBD-I frame. End result is slightly more power, significantly less fuel economy.
3) Swap in some other engine... The obvious example is a 5.0. It's a little harder on a pre-'98 because the planning wasn't done ahead of time by Ford with a matching OBD-II truck, but it's in the same ball park as option 2. Roughly the same fuel economy, but 50% more power and torque.

My perspective is that if you -are- going to do the swap, the 3.0 simply isn't worth the time. You could throw in a 2.3 for a fraction of the time and be done with it. For what it's worth, I also wouldn't consider a 4.0 SOHC as a swap candidate. Too many reliability issues to bother.

If the point is more power/torque, a 2.3T might be worth doing a little research since you can keep so much of your current drivetrain intact. That said, parts will continue to dry up for that as well, considering it was last offered in 1986 ('89 for the Merkur, but when did you last see one?).

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok then.

I still dont get why yall think keeping a 2.3 is better then a 3.0, but, to each their own.
6 cyl fuel economy and 4 cyl power isn’t worth the work to me.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
6 cyl fuel economy and 4 cyl power isn’t worth the work to me.
I grew up during the muscle car era.... Four cylinders magically appeared one day,,, another day Insurance rules changed horsepower requirements,,,

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Im with you guys in that the 3.0 is a depressing, unremarkable engine. Its a beige engine built originally for the original beigemobile...

BUT...

They do run harder then a 2.3, atleast from my observations, but yes it is alotta work for the swap, for unremarkable results, but, since hes got a donor its just kind of a matter of moving stuff over.

I thought the 2.3T made it thru 89 in supercoupes to? Maybe im wrong on that. But i see one about everyday, the guy a couple streets over DDs one :)

Hes also got a pristine 68ish GT 350...

Some guys have all the luck.

Seems everyone around me has something cool, i know theres 1 or 2 roadrunners (one 383, one 440), a rather mean 71 big body stang, and of course the usual standby GM stuff. I wish ida kept my charger, the rusted out, barely running, clunky shifting thing it was.

Last edited:

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Im with you guys in that the 3.0 is a depressing, unremarkable engine. Its a beige engine built originally for the original beigemobile...

BUT...

They do run harder then a 2.3, atleast from my observations, but yes it is alotta work for the swap, for unremarkable results, but, since hes got a donor its just kind of a matter of moving stuff over.

I thought the 2.3T made it thru 89 in supercoupes to? Maybe im wrong on that. But i see one about everyday, the guy a couple streets over DDs one :)

Hes also got a pristine 68ish GT 350...

Some guys have all the luck.

Seems everyone around me has something cool, i know theres 1 or 2 roadrunners (one 383, one 440), a rather mean 71 big body stang, and of course the usual standby GM stuff. I wish ida kept my charger, the rusted out, barely running, clunky shifting thing it was.
I had a 57 Chevy convertible for $400 I told the guy I didn't want it, my brother-in-law gave me a 55 Pontiac Safari station wagon, that I junked. last I saw one they're worth about 75,000 Hindsight is a terrible thing for baby boomers because we can't ever stop looking back!

BUT! I think a 4wd 4.0 Ranger is kinda cool, especially when I show up with my wooden canoe on top!

People are already saying to me "oh that's cool they don't make them anymore?" I could ask if they mean the canoe or the Ranger but my answer would/could be, I build them both! (With help)

Anyone have a woodie Ranger? lmao

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I had a 57 Chevy convertible for $400 I told the guy I didn't want it, my brother-in-law gave me a 55 Pontiac Safari station wagon, that I junked. last I saw one they're worth about 75,000 Hindsight is a terrible thing for baby boomers because we can't ever stop looking back!

BUT! I think a 4wd 4.0 Ranger is kinda cool, especially when I show up with my wooden canoe on top!

People are already saying to me "oh that's cool they don't make them anymore?" I could ask if they mean the canoe or the Ranger but my answer would/could be, I build them both! (With help)

Anyone have a woodie Ranger? lmao
Sad thing about the charger was it was mid 00s when i got it, a farmer my old neighbor knew bought an piece of property to clean up and farm, my neighbor, knowing that i like old junk, sent me that way to look around, nothin to special, a few old 70s chevy cars, a few old trucks, couple mullet camaros, but parked in this old lean to thing was a 69 charger R/T. Wont tell ya what i paid cause you wouldnt believe me anyways.

Long story short i drug it home, got it runnin, put brake lines on it and drove it lol, finally it spun a bearing (440) and i parked it. Was cleaning out my barn, drug it out, stormed that night and lightning hit a tree, split it, and half the tree grazed the roof.

Sold it to a guy in indiana who said "oh i can straighten that out" for considerably more then i paid. I was goin thru divorce #2 and didnt wanna screw with it. Now i regret it.

As far as a woody ranger, a 1st gen *might* somewhat pull it off, a 3rd gen? Ehhhhhhh....

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Sad thing about the charger was it was mid 00s when i got it, a farmer my old neighbor knew bought an piece of property to clean up and farm, my neighbor, knowing that i like old junk, sent me that way to look around, nothin to special, a few old 70s chevy cars, a few old trucks, couple mullet camaros, but parked in this old lean to thing was a 69 charger R/T. Wont tell ya what i paid cause you wouldnt believe me anyways.

Long story short i drug it home, got it runnin, put brake lines on it and drove it lol, finally it spun a bearing (440) and i parked it. Was cleaning out my barn, drug it out, stormed that night and lightning hit a tree, split it, and half the tree grazed the roof.

Sold it to a guy in indiana who said "oh i can straighten that out" for considerably more then i paid. I was goin thru divorce #2 and didnt wanna screw with it. Now i regret it.

As far as a woody ranger, a 1st gen *might* somewhat pull it off, a 3rd gen? Ehhhhhhh....
My heart still goes pitter-patter for a 1st Gen, Red GTO black top convertible I see once in awhile in my area, it's absolutely beautiful! But then there was as Porsche 928 a friend had, the car is in better shape than him and the car was in awful shape!

When my business was running really well, oh about 25 years ago, I was actually very close to getting a Porsche 911... My oh my things have changed. as I play the social security Medicare Medicaid game in my old age.

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My heart still goes pitter-patter for a 1st Gen, Red GTO black top convertible I see once in awhile in my area, it's absolutely beautiful! But then there was as Porsche 928 a friend had, the car is in better shape than him and the car was in awful shape!

When my business was running really well, oh about 25 years ago, I was actually very close to getting a Porsche 911... My oh my things have changed. as I play the social security Medicare Medicaid game in my old age.
i never really got into the exotic stuff, athough id kill for a viper GTS (if that counts), i mean, a 911 isnt super exotic, but still exotic to a guy whos played with old domestic stuff his whole life.

There is a red 67ish GTO/tempest that runs around here, ive seen it at the gas station but the guys kind of a ass so i dont know much about it. But it is a 4speed car.

Oei1988

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 24v DOHC 4CYL
Transmission
Automatic
Busted engine and want to upgrade new truck.

Ok, here is my issue and I'm unsure of where to turn or where this question goes in this forum. I'm a new member so Plse bare with me. About 6 months ago I bought my dream truck from a very close friend who has spent a lot of money into this truck. I am a huge ford ranger lover. I own a 1996 ranger with the 2.3l lima motor and I just bought a 2002 ford ranger xlt 2.3l 24v dog auto trans with the stepside. In 2013 the original motor was rebuilt because of valve issues which turned to be a $3k job. Spotless truck inside and out with only 65k original miles. Last week the motor blew because of the crankshaft and I need a new motor. I want to upgrade to make the truck new again with a few slight mods mechanically (factory style sleeper). My question is what would I need to do and what are my options to upgrade to the 2.3l ecoboost? Screenshot included. And what auto trans would be best? Any help greatly appreciated. I need the extra power btw for some around the house and short drives pulling a camper too. I have the 7.5"? Rear end. Truck is already in showroom condition inside and out. Also what would be good for the extreme tuner version for my lowered 1996 with lima which is the standard trans.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=141628216718286&id=100026133244211&set=a.102116830669425.1073741828.100026133244211&source=48&refid=17&__tn__=EH-R

Last edited:

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals