• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine swap question

Billgrieve

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b4000
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2009 Mazda b4000 that has the V6 4.0 SOHC engine will the engine from a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport trac with the v6 swap in ? I think they are they same engine but not sure

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yes, but you should at least replace the timing chain tensioners on the 02 engine. You may also find things like the intake manifold and exhaust manifolds will have to be changed over.

Billgrieve

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b4000
Transmission
Automatic
So I bought this Mazda b4000 with the timing chain bolt snapped in the back so I replaced the timing chain and cassette in the back and the front and both tensioners and the engine starts good runs good 180 psi in all cylinders but there is still a loud knocking sound coming from somewhere in the front of the engine and I’m sick of replacing parts so thinking of swapping it

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
So I bought this Mazda b4000 with the timing chain bolt snapped in the back so I replaced the timing chain and cassette in the back and the front and both tensioners and the engine starts good runs good 180 psi in all cylinders but there is still a loud knocking sound coming from somewhere in the front of the engine and I’m sick of replacing parts so thinking of swapping it
Id run it till it wont go anymore then swap. But thats my personal opinion.

Billgrieve

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b4000
Transmission
Automatic
I would but I live in Ontario Canada and need to get it certified by a licensed mechanic in order to license and get insurance on it ..

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I would but I live in Ontario Canada and need to get it certified by a licensed mechanic in order to license and get insurance on it ..
All they care about is safety related shit dont they? Brakes/tires/lights/frame rot, etc?

Either way if you have to have any sort of emission test to certify, and its like some states here in the US, putting an 02 motor in an 09 isnt gonna fly.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
All they care about is safety related shit dont they? Brakes/tires/lights/frame rot, etc?

Either way if you have to have any sort of emission test to certify, and its like some states here in the US, putting an 02 motor in an 09 isnt gonna fly.
It should be OK. In the US most of the rules about that are that the engine design can't be older than the vehicle it's going into. So you can put a 4.0 SOHC from an 02 Ranger/Explorer into an 09 Ranger/Explorer, but you can't put a 289 into something from the 80s, or a 5.0 into a 2005 for example.

Plus, how are they going to tell? The SOHC never changed block numbers, and had very few other revisions, most of which would be brought to date just swapping the parts over that he needs to make it work right in his truck.

Billgrieve

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b4000
Transmission
Automatic
The year of the engine isn’t going to be a issue but if I bring a vehicle into a shop for a safety inspection with the engine knocking they will probably laugh..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals