• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

engine swap for 1984 ranger

chayse brooks

Reaction score
I was wondering what ford v6 has the best fuel economy to power ratio or which would be the best to swap into my 84 ranger which is lacking from power. I use this truck to go off road and as a daily commuter. If anyone knows which swap would give me good power and gas mileage please tell me and also what will I need for this swap. Thank you

Ringmaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I considered the 4.0 for my 86 B2 but ultimately decided on a 302. I don't think there will be a significant difference in cost so might as well go with the v8

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
You are expecting gain power and MPG and off road too? Are you on a budget? Build a truck for 1 thing for best results. Power or MPG? Off road or daily driver? :D

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
A good balance is what your looking for which is what the Ranger already has. If you want sightly better MPG get a 2.3 if you want better power get a 4.0 if you want offroading ability get a 4.0 make sure you have 4x4 add a lift larger tires a locker higher gears etc. A lot of us look for a balance but its almost impossible to have all of those.

chayse brooks

Reaction score
My only problem is I bought this truck for driving around. I have a 79 f150 as my off road vehicle but I wanted to eventually take my ranger and turn it into a prerunner that is drivable on the street

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
My only problem is I bought this truck for driving around. I have a 79 f150 as my off road vehicle but I wanted to eventually take my ranger and turn it into a prerunner that is drivable on the street
no one's saying you can't pull that off providing you meet DOT standards. The main issue is your hoping to get decent MPG and off-road rigs just aren't set up for that. Even manufacturers best attempts have been lacklustre in that area with ecoboost being good but not perfect, active engine management and such. so yes it can be done but it won't be cheap easy or get good mileage.

There's a reason econoboxes have small tires and engines.

chayse brooks

Reaction score
Eh eventually I would be all for getting around 10 mpg that's just down the future I just want to have some extra power for now for say I hit the dunes I could actually have a bit of speed or when going up a hill I won't have to do 45 mph

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Eh eventually I would be all for getting around 10 mpg that's just down the future I just want to have some extra power for now for say I hit the dunes I could actually have a bit of speed or when going up a hill I won't have to do 45 mph
Well if you want the easiest conversion then go with a 4.0, a 302 is more work and better power but you said you wanted a V6. Keep in mind for a sand rig it will require different tires and such for street driving.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well if you want the easiest conversion then go with a 4.0, a 302 is more work and better power but you said you wanted a V6. Keep in mind for a sand rig it will require different tires and such for street driving.
Either way you are changing both the engine and trans.

302 you have the option of EFI or carb so you wouldn't have to change the fuel system if you didn't want to.

I get 11mpg on a lifted truck with a carb and a 3spd automatic running 3krpm down the highway. At about 70mph I can feel the detent for the secondaries so I am not far from having the primaries wide open at 60mph. An over drive would (and is going to) improve the mileage quite a bit.

I gained 2mpg over my 2.8 and can even pass people going down the highway now. :yahoo: The difference off road with keeping tires spinning/cleaning is also night and day.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals