• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine Swap 1995 Ranger from 2.3 to 3.0 - Will it work?

jmkissler

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My little 2.3 is making a cross between clicking and knocking sound. It is not in the top end. It almost sounds like a piston pin, probably cylinder 1.

So, since I'll have to pull the engine to repair, I decided to do an engine upgrade. I have found a 3.0 out of a 1997 Ranger Auto. I know I'll have to replace the computer. What I don't know is whether or not I can use the same engine wiring harness, possibly with a little modification, or do I need the engine wiring harness for the 3.0.

I also found a 3.0 out of a 2000 Ranger Auto. How different is the wiring harness from the 1995 to 2000? If it's not much different, would that be a suitable replacement for my dying 2.3?

I searched through the forums but haven't found what I am looking for yet. If I've missed something, please let me know and I will go read it.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You need computer, wiring, exhaust, and transmission.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Can I use the same Cat? Also, transmission? I thought the 3.0 and 2.3 used the same transmission/same bolt pattern. Is that only for the 2000 3.0?
Use a parts site like Rock Auto to cross reference the cat numbers. You probably can, but cross it to be sure.

The 2.3 and the 3.0 did share a bolt pattern for a single year. 199-NEVER. You need a transmission.

Go2fasteddie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
In my opinion, if you're pulling the engine and swapping motors you are really wasting your time if you dont do a explorer V8 swap. You'll need all the same stuff but the rewards are better. No substitute for cubes!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals