• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine Surge Please Help

94mazdab4000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Transmission
Manual
Hello all, I'm new here. I have a Mazda B4000 4.0 OHV with a manual transmission.

I'm having surging issues. It lags (has loss of power) until the accelerator is all the way to the floor. I was throwing multiple codes. But have cleared everything up except for code 172. These are the things I've done.

1. New MAF (had code stating it had irregular
voltage)

2. Replaced upper and lower intake manifold gaskets. This got rid of the 176 or 177 code.

3. New IAT sensor or what ever it's called that measures the intake temp.

4. New plugs, wires and coil pack.

5. New fuel filter.

6. Double core alluminum radiator and thermostat, flushed and put zerex in.

7. Checked for air leaks, replaced pcv line and gromit that goes into the brake booster and replaced all other lines so there for sure is no leak.

I've done alot to this truck including a new transmission and clutch. I can't figure out for the life of me what's going on. It's OBD1 so I'm kind of limited by the data on the code reader I have.

The only thing I can think of is that it's a fuel problem and is either faulty injectors or a slowly dying fuel pump. The oil pressure seems really low by the gauge but I don't know of it's works by or no t it stays in one place and does not move.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you God bless and stay safe out there.

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Have you tried cleaning the idle air control valve yet? My old truck was having some idling issues and that valve was all gummed up and sticking. And you checked the engine for vacuum leaks? Spray brake clean all around and see if the engine reacts

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
First two things I'd check are fuel pressure and then check the TPS for a dead spot.

Fuel pressure when the engine is revved should decrease only slightly, and with a healthy pump and regulator may even go up a bit.

Colin

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Adsm08 is a very knowledgeable dude so definitely try this

Brown_Eminence

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda b4000
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all, I'm new here. I have a Mazda B4000 4.0 OHV with a manual transmission.

I'm having surging issues. It lags (has loss of power) until the accelerator is all the way to the floor. I was throwing multiple codes. But have cleared everything up except for code 172. These are the things I've done.

1. New MAF (had code stating it had irregular
voltage)

2. Replaced upper and lower intake manifold gaskets. This got rid of the 176 or 177 code.

3. New IAT sensor or what ever it's called that measures the intake temp.

4. New plugs, wires and coil pack.

5. New fuel filter.

6. Double core alluminum radiator and thermostat, flushed and put zerex in.

7. Checked for air leaks, replaced pcv line and gromit that goes into the brake booster and replaced all other lines so there for sure is no leak.

I've done alot to this truck including a new transmission and clutch. I can't figure out for the life of me what's going on. It's OBD1 so I'm kind of limited by the data on the code reader I have.

The only thing I can think of is that it's a fuel problem and is either faulty injectors or a slowly dying fuel pump. The oil pressure seems really low by the gauge but I don't know of it's works by or no t it stays in one place and does not move.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you God bless and stay safe out there.
do you or are you still having these issues?

94mazdab4000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Transmission
Manual
New IAC valve, new TPS, have checked for leaks, replaced upper and lower intake Man fold gaskets, just changed the fuel pump. The only thing left I'm thinking is the PCM (computer) but yeah it still has lag and surges only at full throttle..

Guanfy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
15in
Did you have these issues from the beginning or after something happened/part swapped?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals