• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

engine runs out of breath in hot weather

Ivy Mike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
got an 89 Bronco 2 with the 2.9 and noticed something when the summer started heating up here. Now Las Vegas summers, for the uninitiated, are blazing stinking hot. We're talking 105+ everyday. Today it was 112.

Anyway, the B2 is fine in the morning and in cooler weather but this summer got hot and the engine feels like it runs out of steam at about 3k RPM. I don't know if it is the engine computer pulling timing (can the old beast even do that?) or maybe some odd vacuum problem.
Has anyone had a similar experience? I am a little perplexed.

Ivy Mike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
I have had the same problem, mine hates the heat... Dunno why, I've tested every sensor on it and it all checks out great, must just be a 2.9 thing...

Vince Waldon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Actually I'm subscribed to this thread 'cause I know of a 4.0 that's doing the same thing... on hot summer days... and so far no one's been able to figure it out either. Engine has been given a completely clean bill of health by a very competent mechanic, but it definitely starts to fall on its face towing a small trailer as the ambient summer temperatures climb.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Actually I'm subscribed to this thread 'cause I know of a 4.0 that's doing the same thing... on hot summer days... and so far no one's been able to figure it out either. Engine has been given a completely clean bill of health by a very competent mechanic, but it definitely starts to fall on its face towing a small trailer as the ambient summer temperatures climb.
Mine dosen't fall on it's face, it seems to lack power is all.

Vince Waldon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Hmmm... well... we might be talking about the same thing... or not. If not I'll not hijack the thread further. ;-)

Mine seems to have good power unless its a hot day... then it has a noticeable lack of power. The change is noticeable when the morning has been cool and then it starts to bake in the afternoon.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Hmmm... well... we might be talking about the same thing... or not. If not I'll not hijack the thread further. ;-)

Mine seems to have good power unless its a hot day... then it has a noticeable lack of power. The change is noticeable when the morning has been cool and then it starts to bake in the afternoon.
yep, that's my issue. No thread jack :icon_thumby:

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
ok so 105 degrees huh? is it possible that it is a simple reason? the much hotter, therefore much thinner/ less dense air is not delivering enough oxygen to the engine?

or maybe the fuel is boiling in the fuel rails making it full of bubbles and therefore delivering less fuel to the engine?

just spitballing here

Ivy Mike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
if that were the case cammeddrz, then I would expect power loss through the whole RPM range. The motor is fine until it approaches 3k RPM at which point it is almost like the truck suddenly gained a load of bricks in the back. I can keep my foot in it and eventually it gets it's power back but this is still a problem. Merging onto a freeway is interesting to put it mildly.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
could be that the heat is not helping the intake, it needs air to start, hot air wont help it start.

even in my trucks current state with starting issues, once it hits dead winter, at about 45 degrees, it will start up like it was new.

Maybe it needs some water!

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
catalytic converters function entirely on heat. that being said i once had the exact same problem you're describing on a 1984 v6 camaro. it turned out to be a clogged cat.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
catalytic converters function entirely on heat. that being said i once had the exact same problem you're describing on a 1984 v6 camaro. it turned out to be a clogged cat.
I have no cats, I still have the issue.

Ivy Mike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm going to have to tear into it this weekend. I wish I could find a copy of a real service manual instead of the Haynes one I've got. Anyone know where one might be available in PDF form?

b2rich

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
Transmission
Automatic
I have the same issue with my 87 with a the a4ld. up a 6% grade it dogs like crazy. I didnt really notice how bad it was till i moved to this are. up in portland i never had this issue.

i am thinking of putting a 2 row radiator and an electric fan in to see if that would help give it a little more umph by cooling the motor a little more.
:dunno:

Ivy Mike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
a slight modification to the original symptoms. If I rev at partial throttle it doesn't always (but sometimes does) have the same hole in the rev range. Once it gets past 3300rpm or so it seems to pick back up.
Does the 2.9 use vacuum advance? Maybe that is screwing up in the heat.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals