• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine running lean???

JoxJo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I've recently replaced the EGR valve and the tube on my 4.0 and now I am getting a few engine codes... 1. Bank 2 sensor 1 slow response, 2. Bank 2 too lean, 3. OBD test incomplete. The O2 sensor is switching from rich to lean and I don't see any damage on the wires. Is there supposed to be vacuum at the EGR when it's idling? Any help with this issue would be appreciated!!

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
There should not be vacuum at the EGR valve when idling. If there is, replace the vacuum solenoid.

JoxJo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok well there is no vacuum so I hope that is a good thing! But Im not sure where to start with bank 2 being lean if the O2 sensor is working? What would I do for the slow response?

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
If your CEL is the result of the EGR work being done, I would look to see if you have any vacuum leaks in and around the egr tube and anything that you had to remove to replace it. as for the slow response, maybe a sensor is going bad, and the new vacuum leak just made it noticable by having the engine run too lean.

I would check over your egr system and that area real well for vacuum leaks. fix those, then see what goes on w/ the O2 sensors...

AJ

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Did you at any point remove the cats from your ranger? 97 should be OBD2 and therefore comes with MIL sensors. These sensors cause all sorts of problems with exhaust mods. If you pull the cats on vehicles equipped with these, you have to get a tuner to turn off the o2's and get MIL deletes, (or make them). The EGR is inactive at idle and WOT. I beleive you can delete the egr altogether without needing the tuning but it will mess with your emissions if your tested. If you clean the egr plunger with brake cleaner or any other solvent it will tear up that plunger and the egr system will be no good. There is also an egr gasket that has to be replaced with replacing the egr.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals