• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine replacement compatibility

VannJohnson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi, I have a 1996 4.0 xlt 5 speed 2wd, the rear end hit a massive bolder in an ice storm and I bent the frame, trying to find out how easy it would be or if it is possible to swap my engine which is undamaged into another truck, I have a few options on what truck I can buy for this, they are all newer, a couple of them just need a new engine an others need a new trans, also have a roller as an option, but I don’t know which trucks would be able to just directly swap over? What years? And do they have to have the same engine and trans that I have now? Also is it possible to put my Engine into a 4wd? Thanks if y’all have any info on this please let me know, any help is greatly appreciated.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The simple answer is a truck with the same engine.

The totally correct answer with all the ifs, ands, and buts will have to wait for the experts to chime in.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1990-2000 Rangers used the 4.0l OHV engine that you have now, and 1994-2000 Mazda B4000's
Same manual transmission in all these years
You would swap over the upper and lower intakes and exhaust manifolds if using the 1996 engine in a 1998-2000 Ranger

2001-2011 Rangers used the 4.0l SOHC engine so different than earlier 4.0l, no easy swaps, motor mounts and transmissions are compatible but computer and wiring are not, and not a good swap in any case, 4.0l OHV was 160HP, SOHC was 205HP

2WD or 4WD doesn't matter to the engine, transmissions are different since they have to bolt to a transfer case

Its hard to convert an automatic Ranger to a manual, but engine doesn't care, so you could use your engine with an automatic

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals