• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine oil leak

76Whaler

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Good Mornig fellow Ford friends,

I drive a 1997 Ranger XLT 4.0 5 spd 4wd (Warn hubs) with about 97k miles.
Been smelling hot oil for awhile. Finally had one of my motor-head buddies look at the engine. He says my valve cover on the drivers side is leaking oil on to the manifold. I've also seen a bit of smoke coming from under the hood a few times as well.
There is no discernable oil loss seen on the dipstick, and none on the ground.
How concerned about an oil fire should I be, how soon should I think about getting this repaired, and how much will this co$t me if I take it to a shop?

Thanks much,

Carl

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I fix valve cover leaks because they stink and for no other reason.

I can drive down the street and identify people who don't maintain their vehicles by smell.

Oil fires are unlikely (though not impossible), but low oil is a more likely risk. Suck air into your oil pump and your engine won't last long.

As for how much it costs at a shop, you have a copy of the Yellow Pages, right? Why would you care what shop rates are 3000 miles away?

76Whaler

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I fix valve cover leaks because they stink and for no other reason.

I can drive down the street and identify people who don't maintain their vehicles by smell.

Oil fires are unlikely (though not impossible), but low oil is a more likely risk. Suck air into your oil pump and your engine won't last long.

As for how much it costs at a shop, you have a copy of the Yellow Pages, right? Why would you care what shop rates are 3000 miles away?
Great,..you're my hero.

76Whaler

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Wow! What a pain in the arse that was to fix. Had to remove the intake, air conditioner, etc. etc. About 4+ hours of labor. Actually had to replace not only the gasket but the valve cover itself.
The State road crews spread tons of salt on the roads in the cold northern winters here. Vehicle lives are shortened greatly by the corrosive nature of the practice,..but there's really not much we can do about it.

opbeagler1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
wow ,i too had the same problem on my 96 super cab 4.0, thinking it was only the gasket needed to be replaced ,after a long tear down, countless crap in the way.i found the valve cover itself was rusted out.

Filkster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
m

Last edited:

MAXDA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I too encounter the dreaded rotted out valve cover today.1 hour to get it off ..not to bad really.But have to wait until tomorrow for them to get it of a junk one.I just hope it is good condition? Other then junk yards where can I find it? Thanks

Seabiscuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
How many hours should a shop take to fix this kind of damage?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals