• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine noise please help

jk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
4.0l ohv
Transmission
Automatic
New here! I have 97 4.0l. It sounds like a diesel. At idle it ticks very loud but gets quiter when accelerating and becomes more rapid. This is what I have done so far.

Cleaned mass air and checked with elc. Tester work as should.
New plug wires.
Checked and gapped plugs.
Only code is 1433 my purge valve needs replaced.
Visualy checked vacuum lines appears ok.
Replaced dpfe if vacuum applied to Egr engine stalls.
New pcv.
Oil flush with ATF and changed.
De carb with to cans of b12 as described on another thread.

The truck responds and runs good. Oil looks good on Dipstick now.
Trying to fix on a budget any help is appreciated. This is my first ranger love it so far.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check the oil pressure.. If it's good then replace the clicking parts that are prolly in the top end.. Might get away with a new set of slightly longer push rods..
Big JIm

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
sounds like a timing tick. the 4.0 is notorious for timing troubles.

jk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
4.0l ohv
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for the responses. The oil pressure is good. I ran the atf flush thinking it migh deliver more oil to upper end. The previous owner mentioned the timing chain but at the time the truck would not idle. The truck runs very good I have been surprised at the power and response this truck has. I tried the screw driver to ear and was unable to determine anything new. I'm a shade tree mech.
How do you determine if you have a bad timing belt?

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for the responses. The oil pressure is good. I ran the atf flush thinking it migh deliver more oil to upper end. The previous owner mentioned the timing chain but at the time the truck would not idle. The truck runs very good I have been surprised at the power and response this truck has. I tried the screw driver to ear and was unable to determine anything new. I'm a shade tree mech.
How do you determine if you have a bad timing belt?
well the ticking is the timing chain knocking against whatever it can come in contact with. you could either take i to an expert ford mech and see if he can tell without poping her open, or you can open her up. the only way to tell yourself is to replace the tensioner and see if it goes away.

jk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
4.0l ohv
Transmission
Automatic
Well I think you are right about the timing chain. Will it hurt to drive it like that. Could you tell me what in particular makes you think timing. For me it's the noise at idle, it sounds like it is coming from every where. I just can not pin point it.

Rangered06

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1987
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6/2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
i have that same issue just havent pinpointed it if it does have anything to do with the timing chain let me know :icon_cheers:

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
speak of the ****ing devil. i just happened to leave my truck running and walked around it and hear this noise, i was like what the hell is that, so i pop the hood and all i hear is tick tick tick tick tick from the top of the engine. i drove it home without any probelms, but its going to ford tomorrow. im glad i bought my warranty, cus i didnt pay all this cash for a ticking ranger.

the best way i could explain the noise would be when you pedal a bicycle chain backwards and it ticks. just sounds like metal on metal and im not liking it. gona get it checked out before anything bad happens.

sholzy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
speak of the ****ing devil. i just happened to leave my truck running and walked around it and hear this noise, i was like what the hell is that, so i pop the hood and all i hear is tick tick tick tick tick from the top of the engine. i drove it home without any probelms, but its going to ford tomorrow. im glad i bought my warranty, cus i didnt pay all this cash for a ticking ranger.

the best way i could explain the noise would be when you pedal a bicycle chain backwards and it ticks. just sounds like metal on metal and im not liking it. gona get it checked out before anything bad happens.
Mines been making that sound for 5 years now. Each year it gets a little louder. Someday I might get around to putting in some longer push rods.

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You guys do realize that the 4.0 in a '97 and an '06 are completely different right? Hard to compare noises between a pushrod engine and an overhead cam engine.

jk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
4.0l ohv
Transmission
Automatic
To answer hondaxr650 yes. I am planning on checking the rockers and pushrods first. This will allow me to clean everything up as well. It will be a couple of weeks before i can get started. I am going to start by pulling the upper motor (not heads) apart cleaning and inspecting as i go. I also plan on taking apart the EGR system for a good cleaning and inspection. I am just trying to optimize fuel effiecency and reliabilty. Planning on starting college soon. One of americas unemployeed LOL.

schroeder_ce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Timing chain. Same on my '00. Tried to fix it under warranty back in the day. Gave Ford an article from popular mechanics about it. They gave me a letter back saying this is "marble noise" on the 4.0 that does not effect performance and that they would not do anything about it. I've had the ranger 11 years next month(only owner) and I haven't had any issues, just the terrible noise.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals