• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine Noise (metallic chirping/clattering) - Question

DudeWheresMyRanger?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
1992 Ranger / 4x2 / v6 / 4.0

I took my Ranger to a mechanic for a diagnosis, they couldn't identify anything (they checked for codes and found none) and they wanted to do a full engine tear down (I can't afford that).

When I accelerate into higher gears (Automatic Transmission) I start hearing this metallic clattering/chirping sound, (it sometimes sounds electric IDK). This only happens when I'm giving it some gas, for accelerating up a hill or just in general. I start hearing it around 40 mph and it becomes more pronounced at around 50-55 +. I can hear this through my dash, on the drivers side.

About a year ago I had a Cam Position Sensor code active and the sensor was replaced. I'm wondering if this is the camshaft synchronizer?

To be clear, I do not hear this sound when the truck idles.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________
Other things to add (possibly related?):

Every now and then ( this doesn't happen every day). The Engine will surge upon starting and eventually the surging stops when I give it gas and get moving. I have been told my idling sounds normal and good (when It's not surging). I haven't noticed any surging after I replaced the thermostat (not sure if it was related). I recently replaced my thermostat which fixed some overheating and seepage issues, I noticed my temp gauge moving from the middle to bottom.

I have also noticed my ranger has developed poor fuel economy. I'm running through gas faster than normal.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Anyways, I'm very curious about that metallic clattering/chirping sound at higher acceleration.

Any input is greatly appreciated and thank you.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals