• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine Miss

smudvapor

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
"Lets stop thinking in terms of limitations and start thinking in terms of possibilities."
I have an 88 2.9. I start the truck and it runs very rough like it has a very bad miss. It also blows smoke. After I drive it a few miles it just smooths out and runs great. If it sits and idles for a while it will just all of a sudden start idling rough again. I have checked the wires, plugs, coil, map, relays, tps, cap, fuel, ground wires. I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions?:bawling:

cowboy63645

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Have you tried cleaning the throttle body and the MAF? Also, check the oxygen sensor, had one go out on mine and it ran like crap until I replaced it

smudvapor

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
"Lets stop thinking in terms of limitations and start thinking in terms of possibilities."
I cleaned the throttle body. I don't think I have a maf do I?

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I cleaned the throttle body. I don't think I have a maf do I?
No the '88 doesn't have a MAF.

It'd be a good idea to check all the usual suspects (O2 sensor, MAP sensor, TPS, etc)

But if it's blowing black smoke (you didn't say) it's running rich. May be a stuck injector. I'd also check the Fuel Pressure Regulator and the vacuum line running to it, especially if you can do it when it's running rough.

rangerguy351

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87 ranger
Transmission
Automatic
hook a fuel pressure gauge up to the rail and shut it off it should hold 29-40 psi beings its older if it don't then you got a injector sticking open. to find witch one pull the spark plugs out and see what one is black/rich. also when its running pull the front water temp sensor off and see if it smooths out. i just had mine doing that its just behind the thermostat housing . also the oxy sensor will do the same thing. any thing that will tell the computer hey we need more fuel

rangerguy351

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87 ranger
Transmission
Automatic
o also i had a 4cylinder do something similar and it had a broken prong in the computer making it come up to high idle like it started cold that made my exhaust glow orange from to much fuel in the exhaust. change computer and it was fixed

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
did you clean the IAT intake air temp sensor

smudvapor

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I am not losing coolant. Where is the IAT?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure where but you have the AIT air charge temp 2 wires light grn/purple and blk/wht

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
How about a if a compression check...has that been done?

smudvapor

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
It runs like crap until I drive it a mile or two, then it runs fine, all day and all night if I want. After I have been stopped for a few minutes idling it will run like crap again. White smoke, really bad miss. If I drive it again then after a mile or so it runs great again. This thing is driving me crazy. I checked the computer for codes and it says all is well. I checked all of the usuall suspects and so far nothing.

low_five

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
oh man, white smoke is bad.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
It runs like crap until I drive it a mile or two, then it runs fine, all day and all night if I want. After I have been stopped for a few minutes idling it will run like crap again. White smoke, really bad miss. If I drive it again then after a mile or so it runs great again. This thing is driving me crazy. I checked the computer for codes and it says all is well. I checked all of the usuall suspects and so far nothing.
Is this a auto automatic tranny??

If yes....then check to see if the tranny fluid is low, & prolly is.... if you're not low on coolant, (double check coolant level).

if the tranny fluid is low....then you might have a bad vacuum shift modulator on the tranny.

My guess is that you are really loosing coolant....slightly....and have a bad head...or outside shot of a just a bad head gasket.

smudvapor

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
5 speed tranny. The smoke is not thick, there is just a little. There is not coolant loss. I really think it is a sensor or electrical. It will idle fine and then just change and run really rough like it has a bad miss.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals