• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine Hoist

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I own a load leveler. I find they get in the way more than help.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I only pulled one motor in my life, using 3 tree trunks about 12 ft long, cut, and carried up from the woods, chained together over a 64 impala with a 283 and a 2 speed dura-glide transmission.

An old farming neighbor stopped by to laugh at it as I explained to him what it was for.

About 2 days later he stopped by again, looked around, saw the posts in a pile on the ground, and said "it didn't work, did it"

Then I showed him the 283 laying there on the ground, and the "new" 235 straight 6 sitting in the engine bay already attached to the dura-glide and both bolted in position.

I had pulled the motor/transmission together, winched the car out of the way, set the old 283 aside, bolted the 235 and transmission together, raised it, winched the car back under it, dropped the new engine and transmission in, and bolted it all back together, all without a load leveler :)

I certainly cannot claim genius, but I'm sure it wasn't all luck those things came apart and went back together so well

I have been studying into a leveler so please don't take this in a wrong way. I would actually rather have a good one along, but on my budget a number of those things isn't always an option

Last edited:

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have actually pulled 2, the other was a straight 6 300 my brother and I lifted (minus the head) from a 73 one ton van and set it up inside, then dropped a rebuilt one back in its place.
I bought that from a work buddy who had wrecked a new truck and given up on using it. My brother and I put new rings and bearings dropped it right in there.
That's the one I talked about once before that had the brass bushing (for a standard transmission) in the crank shaft tail and I near never figured out why it wouldn't pull together with my automatic

^^^^ Still no hoist :D ^^^^

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
It’s a tight squeeze to pull an engine and the trans. I’ve done it, but like has been mentioned you pretty much have to stand it on end. Goes a lot better if you can pull the core support though. That’s how I handled pulling the engine and trans on my green Ranger (4.0 auto), and the donor from an Explorer (5.0, auto) and putting the 5.0 and auto in the green Ranger. Both core supports were rotted, so they had to come out anyway and it made the whole process lots easier.

I’ve done more engines than I’d like to admit. Used a HF 2 ton for a couple, used a backhoe a couple times, skid steer a couple times, and now I have my own heavy duty lift. I modded it to use 6” wheels and put down plywood in the gravel driveway to use it and it still sucks. Need a garage. The one junkyard has gantry’s with chain hoists for pulling stuff and they have them on doughnut spares which would probably be good for outdoor use.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The one junkyard has gantry’s with chain hoists for pulling stuff and they have them on doughnut spares which would probably be good for outdoor use.
In the little notebook that goes. What did they use to mount them?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
In the little notebook that goes. What did they use to mount them?
If I mind right, they had swivel plates with a pin to lock them and then an arm went down the one side of the tire and had a unit bearing.

Might have a pic somewhere. Want to go back there soon, U-Pull & Pay, on the edge of Pittsburgh

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I guess if you had a junk yard full of cars you could find some spindles to use.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals