• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine dies, won't run unless key turned off

Inbred Redneck

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'87
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It's an '87 STX, 2.9 5sp. Used to run into the problem maybe once a year but now it can happen twice in a day. Been pretty warm lately but sometimes this happens at regular operating temp on just the 6 mile drive home from work.
If I don't turn key switch off, then back on, the engine cranks fine but won't catch. Cycle key off and try again immediately and she fires right up. At road speeds I just cycle the ignition switch and the engine catches as long as the truck's still in gear.
I've always replaced the module on the distributor with original Ford part, but when those fail it always seems to be a go/no-go proposition.
Any ideas?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Sounds to me like you need a new ignition switch?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I 2nd the ignition switch. I had a 86 where the fuel gauge would work and then wouldn't. Found out if I wiggled the ignition switch it would start working again. But you had to be careful, turn it just a little too far and the engine would quit, even though the key was still basically in the on position. A new switch fixed it. My 84 Bronco switch is also a little iffy. I guess they finally wear out after years of use.

Inbred Redneck

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'87
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks, folks, for the quick replies. Anything too esoteric about the old Ranger switch? Available through Rock Auto and others? Haven't looked closely but I'm guessin' that the key part can be swapped out by just usin' a pin to extract it and put it into the new unit, or is that just wishful thinkin'?

sheep herder

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If it ain't broke, break it.
You don't need to replace the key cylinder, you need to replace the ignition switch. They are not the same thing.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Eh.... technically they both can be a problem. Worn lock cylinder can slip and move the ignition switch or the ignition switch contacts can just be bad...

But sheepis right id replace the ignition switch first (10 dollar part). Then try the actual cylinder. Both are cheap and simple to replace. No special tools or skills required. Once you do it you'll see how scary sad it is to steal an old ranger and probably go buy an alarm. :icon_rofl:

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
If I remember correctly, the ignition switch is up high in the column and not hard to replace. The ignition switch on the larger trucks is mounted on top of the column behind the dash and you have to drop the column down to gain access. Like the previous poster mentioned, you have the mechanical part with the key, and then it has some linkage that operates the electrical part which is mounted somewhere else in or on the column. The electrical part is what you need to replace.

Inbred Redneck

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'87
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Again, thanks. I was referrin' to the separate parts and how easy one or the other might be to replace. To get at 'em I should just have to pull apart the halves of the housing on the steering column. I was hopin' that somebody would say this is a known problem that's cured by facin' North, turnin' anti-clockwise twice while crossing my eyes and sayin' "Praise be to Henry Ford" in pig Latin.
My ol' '65 F100 had the switch in the lower left part of the dash and one could reach up behind, pull the connections and push in and give a quarter turn on the housing to remove the whole thing.

HAWGFORD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I know the 65 key/ ignition switch and they are a bitch to replace, and you break one of the ears off the bezel ya scruud.....Check you tube for the correct way to replace the key switch ,think 1 A auto[ ebay seller] has alot of vids and do the ignition switch too, neither are expensive

Inbred Redneck

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'87
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well, bein' on a dial up connection that might max out at 28.8K there ain't much chance of downloadin' any videos so I'll just have to wing it.
Thanks, all.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Well, bein' on a dial up connection that might max out at 28.8K there ain't much chance of downloadin' any videos so I'll just have to wing it.
Thanks, all.
Wait... are you a time traveler?! Are you posting these messages from 1995!?!?!

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Pretty soon he can jump on the V.90 bandwagon!

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Ignition switch is kind of a PITA, key switch is easy peazy....I'd change both, done it before on a few Fords.

Inbred Redneck

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'87
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Wait... are you a time traveler?! Are you posting these messages from 1995!?!?!
Nah, just an old guy who gets by without too much tech. I'd have to cut down a couple of acres of huge trees to even get a shot at a satellite, DigitalPath and the like tell me that goin' by my address they can help, then when they get the gps co-ordinates for the actual house they say they're sorry but it can't happen. Best I can get by cell is one or two bars and that's if I stand in just the right place.
Then again, I'm rentin' an old 2BDRM place for three-fifty a month on thirteen acres, the driveway's about a third of a mile from the pavement and I can walk about fifty yards from the house to a nice gully where I can shoot all day with no problems from the neighbors. Actually, I can fire the .22, .223/5.56, .380, 12 and 20 gauges but there ain't really enough room to let loose with the Remington 742 in .30-06, but I ain't gonna complain about not firin' the heavy artillery.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals