• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2019+ Ford Ranger Fluids & Engine Coolant

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
Was planning a change of all those @ 50k what interval did you change at?

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Was planning a change of all those @ 50k what interval did you change at?
30k. I'm almost there. 50K is fine.
In my old Sport Trac I did the rear and t-case every 30k and the first two times the old came out pretty dirty. By 90k they drained out cleaner and by 150k the lube in both looked like new so I didn't bother again until it hit 200k.
Most of the wear comes early on.
I had the front axle done every 50k at the Valvoline Quicky Lube since there is no way to do it yourself.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I was planning on having my trans/t-case/axles done during my next service which will be around 28k or so.

I heard that the plastic trans pan is a "one use" item. Curious as to how much ford wants for a new one.. I almost just want to buy an aftermarket one with a drain in it.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
You can reuse the plastic pan. But, while you have it off, you can take the opportunity to replace it with an aluminum one, if you want. The F150 uses the same pan.

I noticed one of the sites that offer aftermarket stuff for Ford vehicles had them listed (5G Motorsports??). Some of them even have a drain plug so you don’t have to keep pulling the pan.

As far as the intervals, transmission and transfer case, I would suggest every 30,000 miles. Rear axle, probably should be the same since it gets more wear and tear. If you have a front axle, 60,000 miles since it is normally just along for the ride.

If you do any off roading adventures that submerged the axles, I would change the fluid for both then. The same for the transfer case since it has a breather tube as well. I think the transmission is a sealed unit now. So, I think the concern or water contamination is pretty much nonexistent. Changing the tranny fluid wouldn’t be a horrible idea though, just in case.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I'm soured on stage3.

I ordered a muffler delete from them right after I got the truck, it let me know it was going to ship from the manufacturer. That was fine. Two weeks go by without any sort of additional info on the status of my order so I emailed them and asked what was up.

The response I got back was something along the lines of "well it appears that the exhaust you ordered IS still in production, but the manufacturer says they won't have any to ship for a couple months"

I don't appreciate a retailer that takes my money for a product that they aren't even sure is still being made -__- got a refund.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I had something similar for a brush guard at one time. Same deal but at least they were more proactive in following up with the order and offered a refund when it was obvious the manufacturer wasn’t going to fulfill the order in any kind of semblance of a timely fashion.

I understand that the seller can’t control what the manufacturer does but they should keep tabs on outstanding orders. Their name is on it after all.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Stage 3 seems to be hit or miss lately. People complaining about them on 5G too. I’m sure it’s supply chain issues but don’t take peoples’ money until you’re ready to ship.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
2019+ Ford Ranger Axle & Transfer Case Lubes;

From @JohnnyO

Just a helpful tidbit of information.

The 2019+ Ranger calls for conventional 80w-90 gear lube in the axle(s) which is kind of curious since older Rangers used synthetic factory fill. The only synthetic axle lube I've found that meets the owner's manual Ford Spec WSP-M2C197-A is Redline 75w-90. Unlike older Rangers, the Gen 5's have drain plugs on both axles.

The owner's manual calls for transfer case fluid that meets Ford Spec WSS-M2C938-A, which means Ford Transfer Case Lube or again, Redline D6 ATF for aftermarket.

I'm not shilling for Redline and I'm not saying that's all there is, but that's all I've found.

Carry on.

2019+ Ford Ranger Engine Coolant:

I had to do some research over the last couple days on engine coolant for my 2019 since the reservoir was low and needed topping off.

First, mine came with orange coolant instead of yellow. So, I needed to find out if I had to get a specific coolant or if I could just top it off with something else. July of 2019, Ford switched from the orange coolant back to a yellow but the specification is different than the old yellow. According to a bulletin release by Ford in August 2020, the new coolant is backward compatible. So, the system can be topped off with yellow as long as it meets WSS-M97B57-A2 specification.

I also researched whether there is an aftermarket offering available if the Motorcraft product isn't available. Valvoline Zerex Heavy Duty Nitrite Free Extended Life Antifreeze Coolant and Prestone Platinum Antifreeze+Coolant meet WSS-M97B57-A2 specification. Locally, the Prestone product is available at Advance Auto Parts in stores. Valvoline Zerex can only be ordered for delivery. I also looked at Peak since it is another brand offered locally but I was not able to find any information on if they meet the WSS-M97B57-A2 specification. Most of the other offerings by the above brands and others only meet WSS-M97B57-A1 specification, including Valvoline Zerex G05, which is a go to for many. Be careful on what you pick, it may cause you future problems since our trucks have force fed, direct injection engines. Operating parameters are not the same as the engines in the older trucks.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
The coolant issue drives me nuts these days, I think its just manufactures wanting to make $ off of requiring a specific coolant, even the new “long life” coolants require a certain change interval, Ive never ever had a issue with the good ‘ol green stuff. At some point theres a reason to open the system & a need to drain it is there. Water pump, thermostat, heater core, radiator, sometimes even a gasket somewhere. And who puts old coolant back in? I considered putting green in the hhr but just so happened to have dexcool on hand from when I replaced the radiator a couple of years ago. Its bad enough every manufacturer has its own coolant, but having multiple coolants for the same manufacturer? its rediculous. And O thought the different atf ‘s was hard to keep straight.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I know in some engines, the coolant makes a difference. While I was running with the Honda crowd, coolant without silicates was a big thing. Honda engines had an issue with mineral deposits if you didn’t pay attention to that.

Now, whether these new coolants make a difference in our turbo charged, direct injection engines or not, I don’t know.

Good old Zerx G05 might be perfectly fine. But I’m not going to be the test mule to find out. The price of this new stuff is close enough to the old stuff that I’d rather just take note and make sure I start buying the right coolant. Since it meets the specs for both trucks, I’ll just switch to stocking it in the garage instead of the G05. Just to make it simple.

The transmission fluid. Well, we’re kinda stuck with stocking all three if you have the new Ranger and an old one. Maybe. I’ll need to do some diffing to see if ULV or LV is backward compatible. Only needing to stock 2 is better than stocking 3. I only have so much shelf space.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I know my engine fluid storage cabinet is beginning to resemble a mini auto parts store with all the different varieties of the similar fluid. Im about to post a paper on the inside of the cabinet door with each vehicle & what it requires. At least windshield washer fluid is still a universal thing.- so far. lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals