• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

engine conversion

jason.1224

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm new to the site and i am in desperate need of some help.
Next week i will be traveling home to see family and to do an engine swap in my old ranger in Hawaii. My truck is a 1993 ranger 4x4 3.0 with a manual trans. the engine has seized after 378k miles and i was unable to source a used engine from a similar year to replace it with. The only 3.0 that i could find was a 2007 out of a ranger with a manual trans. The 2007 engine is ohv i have the engine harness and i believe the pcm but that is it.
My question is what is the best way to go, convert and make the 93 an odb2 system using the harness and pcm from the 2007? If so what exactly does that entail? Option 2 would be to strip the new Engine down and put all of my old sensors on and use the 1993 distributer in place of the CPS (gear teeth are the same, just note sure if it would work just swapping it and not using the coil packs) ,or is there another solution that i havent thought of? Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Go with option 2.

jason.1224

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Go with option 2.

that is what i was leaning towards aswell. with option 2 my question is: I believe they changed the lobes on the cam in 03 or 04 to larger lobes, my dis. will line up, but what about timing? Do you think i'll have any issues? Should i follow the same procedures in my chiltons on timing my 1993 dis or would I need to do some modifications in order for it to be timed correctly/stay in time?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well the lobe size won't make it come out of time, and really the lobes on the cam only affect lift and duration, so how far the valve opens, and how long it stays open. That shouldn't have a huge effect on timing. I like to use the spec as a good starting point, but not much more than that. After that I tend to tune things to my liking, which means advance it until it knocks, then back off about 5*. I had a 2.9 with a pretty big cam that I was running 15* base timing.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
yeah.

what he said.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals