• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5L ('98-'01) Engine build

Kiyp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hello, im considering building an engine to replace the one currently in my 99 2.5l ford ranger, i want to do this because my current engine is high on miles, almost 280k, and while it gets the job done it lacks the power id like, i love having a manual transmission and i love the truck and i dont plan to swap out the engine till it starts to have issues but i figured it would be fun to throw one together to replace it when the time comes and so i know every inch of what im replacing it with, only thing is im not quite sure what to replace it with, i want to stick with a 4 cylinder engine to keep that simplicity and reliability but also for space to work within the engine bay, i want something that will be reliable but give me a bit more power, i was thinking maybe the 2.3l duratec engine would be an interesting choice, 20 more hp than my engine new and my engine at its age has probably lost a decent bit of power as well so it might be a good step up but i also saw the l5-ve that mazda used and ford put in the escape, it seems alright however i heard its set up to go onto a 6 speed transmission whereas i have a 5 speed manual, other than that it seemed like an ok choice, about as much hp as my 94 ranger with a v6 and more torque than my current ranger while still maintaining simplicity and fuel economy, i was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as well as some insight as to how difficult it would be to put the L5-VE in my truck, any information is helpful

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals