• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

engine bogging

mlboelte

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1991 Ranger XLT w/2.4 and auto trans w/129000 miles. Occasionally the engine will " bog down", act as if it's starving for fuel and I will push the peddle to the floor and it seems the transmission slips a bit then it will "catch" and start running fine. It does not do this alot, and it does not last very long maybe a couple of minutes at the most, some days not at all some days it will do this a couple times a day. It has died at a light but only twice in the last two months then it starts right up. Also the fuel gauge is not working properly. Is there a vacuum line connected from engine to trans? Could this be a vacuum line problem? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Fuel gauge "not working properly" could be a wiring issue which could effect the fuel pump in the tank, I think your year has two fuel pumps.
Also in the tank is a mesh filter "bag" on the pickup tube, these can cause intermittent issues in fuel supply when they are 20+ years old.

The slipping transmission feel could just be engine RPM related when engine is "bogging down".
Not sure a vacuum issue would be intermittent, but bogging engine would effect vacuum level, vacuum level is a function of the throttle plate position and engine RPM.

Another source of bogging down is an exhaust blockage, although this is not usually intermittent, have someone change engine RPM while you feel the exhaust output to check.

Last edited:

mlboelte

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks. I just ordered a haynes manual for this truck and will figure out how to check these things. later.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Last time I had that happen? The cat converters where plugged up badly.

Just saying it might be a possible issue.

S-

mlboelte

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, I'll check it out.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You lose engine vacume you lose vacume to the modulator on the trans.

mlboelte

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, I'll check that out.

STX87ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Stock 2.9l in the stx and custom 2.9 in the Xlt
Transmission
Manual
Alright so piston rings and head gasket went out so be looking for my build thread in the next couple weeks. IM ordering the Stroker kit offline. New heads. be doing Souls axle swap with a doubler :) lol thanks for the help man. Tire was looking better but now all this happens ... Oh well. my build budget is like 3500. The junk yard will be a big help

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals