• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine assembly lube

Otto57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Which engine assembly lube is the preferred choice? there are so many out there how am I supposed to know which one is the best

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
They are all pretty much the same. As long as they are petroleum based, and will dissolve in oil.

I usually just use petroleum jelly or red n tacky grease where actual assembly lube is needed. For the most part I just oil parts well and prime the system before starting.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I've always used lubriplate with good luck, a flat tappet cam would require something different. The only thing I use to lube the cylinder bores is motor oil.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I became a distributer for a company called Dynatex… I think that was the name... been awhile. They had their own assembly lube I used... but it was basically white lith/lubriplate in a tube. I also would assemble engines during the winter (slow time) that wouldn't sell til the following summer. It could sit and it wouldn't run off like some of the other assembly lubes.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I always used stp engine oil treatment, been years since Ive built a engine and Im not sure it would be a good choice with the tighter clearances on todays engines. With a 2-cycle I just use straight non-diluted 2-cycle oil.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I always just used gear oil and make sure to prime the system properly.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
If I'm building a motor that's going to be started right away I don't use any assembly lube. Just oil everything as I'm assembling it.

Disclaimer... I haven't built a gas motor in 7-8 years. Everything I've done lately has been diesel in-frame rebuilds that get fired up and hit the road in a few days.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I use bar and chain oil for chainsaws since it's always on hand... I put it in a 2 stroke oil bottle (the little guys) with a gear oil bottle cap (same threads) and now you have an easy applicator... bar and chain oil is 30 weight with something to make it tacky so it sticks longer... at work we have lubriplate, which would be better but so far I haven't had any problems with bar and chain oil...

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
lucas..... redline..... crc.....

lubriplate on ft/cams

mostly 2t oil on the bikes. with lube on the trans side... though i did crc the wrist pin on the 80 lil bob just did.

i was one brand when i was in my teens and 20's.....just depends on what i am working on.

ExploreNW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
235/75/15
Just redneck it.
Grab some red axle grease. Works for thousands of miles when packed in axle bearings & dissolves in oil. Changing your oil promptly after your break in period is always recommended.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
I have yet to buy any assembly lube in the last 40+ years. I have never used it. I have used motor oil for just about every engine I have meddled with. I drench the rings after installing them onto the piston, just before squeezing them in the ring compressor and installing. I squirt some lube on the piston skirt and the cylinder wall, and the rod insert before poking the piston into the bore. I lube the rod cap insert with oil, and place appropriately.
Cams always get lubed, as do lifters which I leave dry if hydraulic(I do not 'prefill' the lifters). The lifter and bore are lubed.
Timing chains and sprockets get a bath in oil before installing the timing cover. I use the crankshaft pulley to center the front seal, allowing natural pressure to position it properly.(don't let gravity cause the cover to sag as it may cause premature failure.)
Oil pumps get their gears lubed up well with vaseline so they can pull oil from the sump quickly as they will be well sealed by the lube until they get spinning, and the vaseline will dissolve in the oil.
Always set the distributor timing as best you can before trying to start. I do not run an engine at all without coolant in the system. Others may do so, but it does not seem a good idea to me.
tom

ExploreNW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
235/75/15
An old school racers trick I thought about earlier today - if you are building an engine that (and most every engine I've ever built has had this setup from Lima 2.3s all the way up to big block Ford & GM) doesn't have the cam directly geared into the oil pump, you can rig up your distributor and a power drill. Pull the worm gear off an old distributor, push the shaft back into your block, then put the rotor end of that distributor in the chuck of the biggest drill you got. Pull the trigger and you'll pre-lube all your bearings in five minutes or less. Turn it over with a socket wrench a couple times while you do this to make sure all the bearings get the good stuff. Then put a distributor or blank shaft back in depending on your model and fire her up. Assembly lube not required. I do love me some $2.99 axle grease though.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
An old school racers trick I thought about earlier today - if you are building an engine that (and most every engine I've ever built has had this setup from Lima 2.3s all the way up to big block Ford & GM) doesn't have the cam directly geared into the oil pump, you can rig up your distributor and a power drill. Pull the worm gear off an old distributor, push the shaft back into your block, then put the rotor end of that distributor in the chuck of the biggest drill you got. Pull the trigger and you'll pre-lube all your bearings in five minutes or less. Turn it over with a socket wrench a couple times while you do this to make sure all the bearings get the good stuff. Then put a distributor or blank shaft back in depending on your model and fire her up. Assembly lube not required. I do love me some $2.99 axle grease though.
Yup this is what I always do on older engines. Newer stuff without a distributor just dont hook up the fuel system or just use clear flood mode to crank it over without firing. Do it 5-6 times in short bursts and your oil system should be primed and ready for the engine to fire.

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
Pull the ASD relay if you've got one.

Could you trip the inertia switch?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Could you trip the inertia switch?
Never touch the inertia switch! They only work (properly) once and need to be replaced. The only reason they can be reset is so the vehicle can be driven far enough to get somewhere for repairs.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals