• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Emissions Testing

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
looking good man - what are the limits where you're at?
Thank you! I'm pretty sure I can get it running better than this, though. I've got quite a bit of enrichment programmed into the acceleration bins because of the blower, and I COULD back off on the advance somewhat.

Max limits are as follows:

Hydrocarbons: .99 grams / km

Carbon Monoxide: 12.43 grams / km

NOx: 1.55 grams / km

For now, I'm still within those limits, but as my engine ages, the targets might become harder to hit.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
now woudl retarding the timing some cause any issues with the CO or NOx results?
In a nut shell, retarding the timing drops cylinder temps reducing the amount of NOx formed. It's an old trick. Adding about 20% isopropal (sp? it's been a long day) alcohol will significantly reduce your emissions considerably.

Seeing as there really is no other way to change the timing on these engines without doing some major work.
Not necessarily true, you just need a spare hub assembly to swap on at emissions testing time..

I type the above only to assist guys with trucks/engines that are older and are just on the edge of failing the sniffer tests, NOT for people intentionally trying to bypass/cheat the test.

jmzneal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 and 2007
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
glad TN doesn't have a state inspection....i see all sorts of retards driving rust buckets that look like they just rolled them off the junk yard lot though so it's kinda two fold. I hope i never have to have my truck inspected cuz i know it will fail after i get the turbo/supercharger on it (haven't decided which)

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
glad TN doesn't have a state inspection....i see all sorts of retards driving rust buckets that look like they just rolled them off the junk yard lot though so it's kinda two fold. I hope i never have to have my truck inspected cuz i know it will fail after i get the turbo/supercharger on it (haven't decided which)
But if it's done right, it SHOULDN'T fail, and that's been a goal of mine since the outset of thie project. In general, I wish the guys in the aftermarket performance community would be more sensitive for our need for clean air.

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
HA so get this, I took my truck to get it inspected finally (2 months overdue) and the emissions were practically spotless... go figure though, it fails because of a bad upper balljoint on the passengerside DOH!!! At least my balljoints have a lifetime warrenty so I don't actually have to pay for a new one I just have to pop the knuckle off and press out the old and pop in the new and throw it back together.

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
HA so get this, I took my truck to get it inspected finally (2 months overdue) and the emissions were practically spotless...
That's a real testament to the longevity of Ford's factory emissions equipment!

go figure though, it fails because of a bad upper balljoint on the passengerside DOH!!! At least my balljoints have a lifetime warrenty so I don't actually have to pay for a new one I just have to pop the knuckle off and press out the old and pop in the new and throw it back together.
Good for you! We don't have mechanical inspections here, unless you get pulled over and written up for one. If, for instance, your tail light is out, you have to go to a certified inspection mechanic after the repairs have been made. If HE finds anything else wrong, he can impound your vehicle as unsafe until repairs are made . . .

When you drive in BC, don't let that happen!

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Figured I'd post my results for reference. This is a '94 2.3 with 342,200 miles and has had no engine work besides spark plugs and timing belts. This is a rolling dyno emissions test.

all numbers in grams per mile
test | mine | limit
HC | 00.59 | 02.40
CO | 008.16 | 060.00
NOx | 00.91 | 03.00
CO2 | 287.80 | NA

Last edited:

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Figured I'd post my results for reference. This is a '94 2.3 with 342,200 miles and has had no engine work besides spark plugs and timing belts. This is a rolling dyno emissions test.

all numbers in grams per mile
test | mine | limit
HC | 00.59 | 02.40
CO | 008.16 | 060.00
NOx | 00.91 | 03.00
CO2 | 287.80 | NA
In grams per km it looks like this:

test | yours | mine (1993 2.3 with 209 000 km on the odometer)

HC |0.37 | 0.58
CO |5.1 | 7.75
NOx | 1.46 | 1.06

That's REALLY good, but your state's max limits are embarassingly high! Your truck beats the readings for mine in everything but NOx. Good for you! It's clear you keep your machine in good shape.

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
well keep in mind the max limits go up as my truck gets older and I believe there is a mileage adjustment too so the 342K miles on it makes a good difference. Hmm, I wonder what my numbers would like in grams per KM? but I was under an abbondoned school all day today in the crawl spaces so my mind is kind of on vacation as I don't care to think of the fact that i have to go back there tomorrow...

anupaum

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
well keep in mind the max limits go up as my truck gets older and I believe there is a mileage adjustment too so the 342K miles on it makes a good difference.
That makes sense.

Hmm, I wonder what my numbers would like in grams per KM?
I posted those for you, comparing your readings to mine. Did you not see what I'd written?

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
oohh sorry, i was reading it wrong heh.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals