• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Emergency Brake Cable Routing 2001 Ranger

wyranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey all...
New the the Ranger world, have a 2001 with the 10" drums in the rear. The E brake was non functional, took it to a shop, they said I needed new cables. I have replaced the cables and while in there found that the bars for the emergency brake on both sides are missing, the one that goes from the front pad to the rear to transfer the pressure and make it all work. Both cables were severely worn almost clear through but still hate that they didn't find it.:temper:

My Question: does anyone know how the two rear cables should be routed where they come together by the front of the leaf spring on the left side? The old left one was routed between the bracket for the right and the front leaf spring mount. It was bound up in there and is worn nearly clear through on both sides where it was rubbing in there. I am thinking that it needs to be on the outside but there doesn't seem to be anything there to keep it from flopping around. Is there some kind of keeper missing? It seems that the cable needs to be free floating as it moves to pull the right cable. Any pics would be much appreciated.

thanks!!

FlyinRyan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Just did mine on a '98. There should be a clip and a... oh just wait, I'll take some pics...

FlyinRyan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
The cable that runs high after the splitter is for the drivers side. The low cable after the splitter is passenger side. The mechanic at Midas ran it under the frame, through the hook on the diff, and into the drum.

When I pulled the old one out it came through the hole in the frame (Where I',m holding it in a pic). I just haven't bothered to run it through there - no heavy off roading for me yet :)

wyranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Perfect! Thanks, the one where it goes up and over the front leaf spring is exactly what I needed. The previous installer had it going underneath right between the front of the leaf spring and the bracket for the passenger side right next to the that cable and it was getting wedged in there. I will get it all lined out. The new bars will be here tomorrow and I will reroute. Really appreciate the pics.

Cheers!:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals