• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Embarassed in My Own Driveway

Biggfoot44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2wd
Transmission
Automatic
Well there I was , backing into the driveway . On dark and drizzling evening .

I feel that I am off too far to one side . But heck , been there done that , give a touch of momentum , and bounce thru the ditch back onto the driveway . But Nooooooo , I'm stuck
Try to rock , but quickly won't move either way .

I've gotten away with this with SUVs still in 2wd plenty of times , Mrs Biggfoot also . Two learning points tonight :

A Ranger with empty bed doesn't have the same weight distribution as an Explorer or XJ .

Even slightly A/T -ish tires like the original Wranglers have more traction than my interim Wal-Mart all seasons .

Walk over to CJ , dig out cheap synthetic tow cable , hook to frame of Ranger , manuver Explorer into position , engage 4x4 on millings surfaced driveway , and hook up . Get Littlefoot44 to creep forewards with Explorer , and Ranger pops right out .

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Explorer is 4.0 ranger is 2.3 soon to be 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Let the universe take you where it will !!!
At Least you didnt have to call for help.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I agree, the traction of an Explorer is much different than a 4x2 Ranger... I haven't had a 4x2 in a while and I get spoiled with my '90 with a locker and mud terrains... This '97 4x2 extended cab is ridiculous in the wet and around corners compared to my '00 Explorer V8... the dang Ranger will end up sideways super easy and in some areas there is zero acceleration, I can tap on the gas and break a tire loose on command rolling at 20mph with a 4 cylinder sometimes. That and if I'm driving kinda spirited even on dry pavement the rear will slide sideways at around 30mph around corners, the V8 Explorer that weighs 1500lb more can corner 5-8mph faster through the same corners without getting near as silly, with bald mud terrains even...

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
I agree my 94 sport, which is supposed to be a roll over hazzard corners, better than 85 2x4 with the 2.8 which was damn near a drift machine any time it was wet

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My 98 Ford Ranger SPORT, I've never experienced any of the stuff noted in Post #3. Never had it go sideways on me, even on a curvy wet road. Maybe it's my tires, 255/60-15 Cooper Cobra GTs. Maybe it's the big rear Hellwig anti-sway bar? Maybe it's the tightly fitted Lakewood traction bars? This truck is actually one of my favorites to take out on my favorite 15 mile stretch of curvy road (continuous loop).

I believe my Mustang needs a bigger rear anti-sway bar. The one on the front is huge. The one on the back spindly.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
yeah, traction bars and a rear sway bar would help I'm sure, this is worse than the '90 at any version I've had it so it must be the extra weight of the extended cab on the front axle...

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
My 98 Ford Ranger SPORT, I've never experienced any of the stuff noted in Post #3. Never had it go sideways on me, even on a curvy wet road. Maybe it's my tires, 255/60-15 Cooper Cobra GTs. Maybe it's the big rear Hellwig anti-sway bar? Maybe it's the tightly fitted Lakewood traction bars? This truck is actually one of my favorites to take out on my favorite 15 mile stretch of curvy road (continuous loop).

I believe my Mustang needs a bigger rear anti-sway bar. The one on the front is huge. The one on the back spindly.
It could also be that I drive like an dick and love to let the rear end out. And maybe the lack of any sort of stability tech.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My grandfather taught me a trick years ago for use on 2WD/RWD open differentials
If a wheel is spinning then slowly push down E-brake pedal and differential will start to transfer power to the other wheel that may have some traction to get you out or moving again
It WORKS, lol, I have used it a few times over the years, its an ART, you can't just push down the pedal hard or both wheels lock

Open differentials send torque/power to the EASIEST axle/wheel to spin, so once a wheel loses traction it gets ALL the power, adding resistance by applying e-brake forces the open differential to transfer some power to the other axle/wheel
But the other wheel is also is getting e-brake applied?
Yes it is but, all you are trying to do is transfer some power, so at least the other wheel turns a bit moving the vehicle forward to get unstuck
So its an ART on applying pressure to the pedal, also good to hold the e-brake release handle out so you can feather the brake pedal
Even more of an art with manual transmissions, lol

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2wd
Transmission
Automatic
Yup . did the power braking the open diff
Both wheels spun .

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well "power braking" is different in my terminology, its applying all brakes on purpose to get the rear wheels to spin, to do a burnout, lol
Before we had to buy our own tires we would do power braking in mom and pop's cars :)

This wouldn't get you unstuck because front brakes would be holding you from moving, especially in a pickup truck with 70/30 brake proportioning

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
^^What he said in terms of an open differential, but a quick stab in the brake pedal can often help a limited slip differential find its purpose.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Engines is goes vroom.

Biggfoot44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2wd
Transmission
Automatic
And AGAIN ! And had to write a statement for being late to work .

Mrs Biggfoot's better idea involved getting another layer of millings for driveway, plus adding a psuedo sidewalk up to the house . But the usually reliable guy delivered the load , but has been unable to get back with the bobcat , so most of the usual " vehicle parking area " has a pile of asphalt millings taking up space, leaving me parking on the grass . The grass that is squishy saturated clay just below the actual grass .

And this time , the 4 x 4 Explorer is buried before could get into position . ( Add story about spouses who just had to dance around waving their arms , instead of standing still at the edge of the driveway to be seen in the mirrors .) Finally used wife's AWD Explorer for gentle tug to get Ranger front tire out of the Only depression in that part of the yard .

So Enough being Enough , I just ordered a pair of LT 195 R 14 mud tires .

Added - I wasn't descriptive enough in my shorthand . In this context , " power braking " = gently apply brakes , while gently pre loading torque to both drive wheels , then suddenly release brakes .

It's not a magic wand , but sometimes only a little help will be just enough . ( But not enough for me lately .)

Last edited:

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Adding a rear bar or a thicker rear bar makes oversteer easier, suspension 101.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals