• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ELECTRONICs COMPATIBILITy

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Hello,

My search for the correct components to finish my non-EGR 4.0L in my 1987 BII, have me asking questions about how well what I can get, will work together:

Can I use a 94, 4.0L ECC with a 92 cab harness and a 92, 4.0L engine bay harness with my 87 BII; I will be using a 94 dash, 94 manual column and the BII's A4LD

I have the time, ability and tools to make the alterations required for these components to work, I just don't know how much I'm in for.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
92 should be batch fire with just an oil pump drive. 94 is probably sequential fuel injection with a cam position sensor. Although I bought a 94 engine that was batch fire.

Just have to look at what you're after. If it has a cam sensor and differently colored wires for the injectors, then it's SFI. If it has no cam sensor and and the same color wires on all the injectors on the same side of the engine it's batch fire.

Unless somebody can tell you by the ECU calibration code, the only way to know what it is, is to check the truck it came from.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Non-Calif 1994 Ranger PCM will be no-EGR and batch fire, no cam sensor

So you should be OK with 1992 engine harness, maybe
1993/94 were the same, 2nd(or 3rd) Generation
1990-1992 were the same, 1st(or 2nd) Generation
Not sure of the differences in 4.0l wiring
The 1993/94 PCM used 3 digit codes, earlier 2 digit, but that shouldn't effect the wiring

Will the 1994 cluster fit in the 1987 dash?

The 1992 dash wiring is different than 1994 as far as cluster is concerned, for sure not plug and play

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
My credo
SenorNoob and RonD,

Thank you for the responses. From what your telling me, I feel that I should hold out for a non-EGR 93-94 Ranger/B4000/Explorer/Navajo or 93-96 Aerostar engine bay harness and that a dash matching the cab harness is the best plan.

I can currently get a 94 Ranger dash with it's complete electrical harness and the correct 94 ECC. Which year manual columns will be plug/play with the 94 dash/harness other than a 94 column?

I am curious about the 95-96 3.0L Aerostar engine bay harnesses, sounds like since it's batch fire it could be a candidate?

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
92 explorer only uses 1 oxygen sensor and 93/94 ranger uses two. the best wiring harness for your swap will be 93/94 explorer federal emissions, as the eec will still be in the same location as your 87 b2. the 93/94 ranger has the eec located on the wrong side for your swap.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
My credo
holyford86,

I did not know that, thank you . )

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I believe the dash harness is really irrelevant although an Explorer one might work better in your B2 since a Ranger harness wouldn't have the wiring or buttons in place for the rear wiper and defrost. A Ranger dash harness would work OK too, I believe they are pinned the same at the big cannon plug. Be aware that power windows, locks and door speakers complicate things.... Explorers had all that stuff run through the lower A pillar, Rangers had the wiring for that routed through the engine bay and behind the fenders.

Also in regards to Explorer dash harnesses, there is a ground wire that you have to clip off and attach to the body somewhere...it's in one of the plugs behind the gauge cluster. Otherwise your dash lights and stuff will go nuts without it.

Steering column doesn't matter, plugs for that are all the same from 89-94.

Take a look through my high rider truck thread if you're curious about what all needs to be done to mount the 2nd gen dash and column in your truck. Not super hard but if you have a donor 2nd gen cab on hand throughout the process, it really helps with comparing how things are mounted, namely the firewall and upper dash mounts.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
If your set on the 92 cab and engine harness. I'd look for a 92 ECU. Should make things as close to plug and play as engine swaps get.

I used a 94 Ranger engine, 91 Explorer underhood/engine harness, and a 92 ECU. Only thing I had trouble with was my O2 sensor plugin. I had the 2 wires to the computer crossed up. Was interesting. Codes for lean and rich at the same time. Definitely ran rich. Like to the point of flooding while moving.

I kept the 88 dash. That's an option if you have a good one still in your B2.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
My credo
Shran,

Thank you, I will go through your thread and come up with something to ask ..)

SenorNoob,

Thank you.

I have a very, very nice 87 BII dash but it is not yet installed.

I have a 94 non-EGR 4.0L, A4LD and the complete chassis with the dash completely removed; I strongly desire to use a 94 non-EGR computer, I would like the harness to be as painless as possible.

When I'm done, I need the engine to perform at it's highest possible level of reliability and economy (daily driver), so I am willing to incorporate changes to the BII, to ensure that is the outcome.

I keep reading that using a 94 dash/column/cab and engine bay harness/computer will be the "simplest" or closest to a "plug in play".

I'd prefer to keep the BII dash, I like it's simple look and utility; I just keep reading about the headaches I'm in for with the harnesses/EEC/instrument cluster/column.

I still have a little time to seek out parts and prepare for the engine tranny to go in. Currently the harness is the most tedious "correct" component to find. There is a seller on eBay selling them New in Box but the are 90, 92, 92 and maybe a 93; if a 94 engine bay harness hit I would pull the trigger immediately but from what I have recently learned about the computer location, I should probably focus on a Navajo or Explorer cab harness/computer. I expect that the cab side of 4.0L, 93-96 Aerostar will work equally well, I think the Aerostars bay harness will need some alteration.

Last edited:

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Swapping a 4.0 into a first gen and retaining the dash is not a difficult swap. all of the body wiring is separate (headlights, heater, etc.) so you really only need to mess with the wires headed into the dash and such from the engine harness, and a few more for the fuel pump and EEC relays. I did a 4.0 swap into an 86 using a 93 explorer engine harness and 94 ranger federal emissions computer, I've put over 100k miles on this swap with very minor issues. I went through the harness and labeled what wire color and function each wire went to on the 86 and swapped it in one day then drove it home from my friend's house where I did the swap. I'd help you out if you weren't on the other side of the country, haha.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
My credo
holyford,

Well, this sounds positive. Based on your input I feel I that I only have 1 choice to make, which manual transmission column to use; if I can locate a 94 Explorer non-EGR engine bay harness.

piedrarock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
with regards to a 91 4.0 explorer and wiring harness with auto ecu , which is a better option for engine and harness being transplnted into vw Ghi , search for a same year manual ecu , or send the mated auto ecu to a remote tuner for changes to ? to work better with a vw manual transmission?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Does the VW automatic need computer control????

If not then better to find a 1990-1992 4.0l manual trans computer, the automatic computer will work for now, will just turn on a CEL(check engine light, if you add one) but engine will operate normally, just a higher idle that automatics needed

I would recommend adding a CEL, but easy enough to just check if there are codes every now and then, or if there are engine problems

piedrarock

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
You again Ron? , thanks a million for you input.
The vw transaxle is 4 speed manual and the computer components in vintages like mine are minimal , if they exist at all ( good old days ) , but I guess there are some advantages to computer systems in modern vehicles , just not when something goes for a pooch and cross your fingers and dive in to find it.
I have a 91 or 92 4l man. ecu lined up , 100 bucks.havent bought it yet , im getting that this would be the best thing to do right out of the gate ?

It should swap right in and relieve whatever stress ecu might have over all this shifting up and down almost continuously, lower idle as well, but still align itself seamlessly with other components it communicates with?
your the best Ron , thanks again

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, better to start off with what you want

And with a 2nd computer you have a test computer, as said automatic computer will run the engine just fine

It only "communicates" with the EDIS-6 module, spark system
And just for load advance, EDIS-6 runs the spark for startup and RPM advance on its own

Open the new computer, and the one you have, and give a look at the 2 or 3 blue capacitors, these WILL leak or corrode after 20+ years, causes random and odd issues
Under $5 to replace them if you have a soldering iron and a solder "sucker"

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals