• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

electronic Transfercase mated to AOD

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Ok I'm no expert here and have no idea so i thought i would ask

What i want to do is use an AOD transmission and an electronic transfercase. I am not a fan of manual shift 4x4, i think the electronic shift makes for a cleaner looking interior.

Anyway... I want to know if the ranger and f-150 transfercases could both bolt up to the aod? are they a different transfercase? Will the f-150 trasfercase fit under the ranger?

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
there is an adapter for the aod to run a 1350 or 1354 iirc.

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
What was the transfercase that was on the broncos that had the AOD?

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
a t-case from a full size is to big...have to notch part of the frame to make it fit

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
do the 1350 and 1354 have the same bolt pattern and input shaft spline count?

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
the 1350 and 1354 are both RBV t-cases and yes spline count and pattern are the same for both. Neither are a direct bolt up to an AOD without an adapter. The BW 1356 from an F150 did have the option of electric shift but like said earlier they are physically large. You will have to notch the frame out and shave all the protruding tabs on the t-case but you can make it fit with some time and effort. You are making out by trying electric due to not having to place a shifter and customize a lever. But you are making a more challenging installation buy fitting a bigger case. The NP205 and 208 are both good fits but they are manual shift. The BW1356 is probably the smallest you will find out of the fillsizes that are electric shift.

Matt

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
the 1350 and 1354 are both RBV t-cases and yes spline count and pattern are the same for both. Neither are a direct bolt up to an AOD without an adapter. The BW 1356 from an F150 did have the option of electric shift but like said earlier they are physically large. You will have to notch the frame out and shave all the protruding tabs on the t-case but you can make it fit with some time and effort. You are making out by trying electric due to not having to place a shifter and customize a lever. But you are making a more challenging installation buy fitting a bigger case. The NP205 and 208 are both good fits but they are manual shift. The BW1356 is probably the smallest you will find out of the fillsizes that are electric shift.

Matt
Ok thanx, this was the kind of answer i was looking for!

I think im going to look for a 1356 and notch the frame, thats small peanuts in comparison to the rest of the truck. Any specific years of F-150 to look for on getting one?

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
If I rembember correctly around 87-97 is the years for it. You can find it in the 150 up to the 350. If it has some miles on it you might way to open it up to make sure the oil pump is still being held tightly in the casting. The pump coming loose is the most common failure.

Matt

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals