• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Electrical issues. No crank, spark, radio, wipers

92ranger4L

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4l 4x4
Transmission
Manual
Bought off craigslist cheap, lived in the desert and it's in great shape mechanically. Story was that the guy fried it by hooking battery up backwards and needed and eec.

Eec is now new, replaced a fried solenoid by the battery, all fuses in power distribution block and cabin looked good. Cranks with starter if you bridge solenoid by battery.

Now we got no spark, no signal from key turn to trigger the solenoid we replaced for starter, no wipers, no radio, no fuel pump sound, no nuffin.

Checked and 12v is delivered to ecm, through all power distribution block fuses (including fuel pump, ignition, starter) and all cabin fuses. Did basic checks for short to chassis. Have horn, headlights, dome lights, turn and hazard lights, and that's about it.

Also noticed cruise control box laying in floor not hooked up, idk if that would be it? Kinda got broken when hunting for part number, and I cant for the life of me figure out where it plugs in.

Please help, I'm at a loss. Maybe with enough wiring diagrams and time I could chase it down, but I'm hoping someone will please simply the process. Another relay/fuse in dash? In/near key assembly? On the output of ecm? Bout to go jet fighter style with a row of toggle switches for each component.

92ranger4L

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4l 4x4
Transmission
Manual
Update: after hours and hours of checking relays, voltage, solenoids, and everything checking out but just no voltage flowing, I kept coming to the same conclusion: "key on" power just wasnt happening. Maybe something shorted when bat was backwards and it's a halfway point for checking wiring if nothing else. So I took the steering column down to check the key switches themselves, and the sliding contact mechanism for different key positions had simply split apart to where it was no longer making contact. Zip tied it back and viola! Starter cranks, wipers go, fuel pump makes sound. Hopefully that's all and now I'll have spark and ecm power but I know it definitely WOULDN'T have them without the key turning them on.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals