• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Electrical issue. Alternator and Battery brand new

tres1162

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Recently my battery died, and I replaced it and got new terminals. The battery was still not charging, so I replaced the alternator. Still nothing. Then the last time I was working on it, smoke came out from the insulation of the harness to the alternator. I am now getting about 13.5 volts from the alternator, but I suspect that I am missing a fuse somewhere in the line. Let me know if I need to elaborate on the problem further.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
With new battery I would expect 13.8v but could just be the voltage meter, usually voltage is 1.1v above battery voltage(12.7v new)

Assuming battery voltage as 12.4v, then 13.5v is what an alternator should be putting out to maintain the battery, and it should stay at 13.5v with lights on and heater fan on high, if voltage drops when using electrics then there is a problem.

It will go up to 14.9v just after starting the engine, this is to recharge battery after the drain from starting, but it should drop to 13.5v in a few minutes.

There are a few tests you can do with the volt meter.

Diagram here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/files/Diagram_charging_1991_1.JPG
And here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/files/Diagram_charging_1991_2.JPG

Engine off tests:
The B+ terminal on the back of the alternator should read "battery voltage"(12.7v with new battery), if not check Fusible links or Maxi-Fuse, follow that cable from B+ to the Starter Relay
Unplug the 3 wire connector:
Check Yellow/white stripe wire, should have 12.7v(battery voltage), check fuses if not

Turn key on
Check Light Green/Red stripe wire, should have 12.7v, this is the ON/OFF switch for the alternator

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals