• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Electrical ? About Putting a 3.0 from a 2000 FF ranger into a 1998 3.0 non FF

Campbell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
A few years ago i bought 2 rangers a 98 and 2000 the engine compartment was empty nothing but master cyl,A/C heater assy, I pulled 3.0 & tranny out of 2000 and put the them in 98,Same two trucks only years and Flex Fuel are the only differences, Can i take the engine wiring and PCM and all the modules out of the 2000 and swap every thing electrical into the 98, Both trucks have exactly the same options,rear drive automatics A/C CC windows locks, Any and all help greatly appreciated Thanks

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes you can

You will need to match fuel injectors, that was the only difference that will matter
FF has larger injectors so FF computer will set LEAN codes if you run the smaller non-FF injectors

I assume you swapped in the 1998 upper and lower intake onto the 2000 FF engine to match wiring or you would have gotten RICH codes using the FF injectors with non-FF computer

One other thing............2000 FF may have a Fuel Type sensor under the truck by the Fuel Filter, these were $600-$750 to replace.............yea pricey, lol
Its a 3 wire sensor that the fuel lines are connected to, it would tell the computer if fuel was gasoline or E85, or a mix of both
This sensor was dropped in later years when software was using with O2 sensors to adjust for fuel type

If it has that sensor then 2000 FF computer will turn on CEL if its not connected, you could swap it over, or you can get an FF sensor emulator for $130

Campbell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, Thanks for info,Would i be better off finding a complete wiring harness from a 1998 ranger, i tried the 98 PCM,but then the anti theft went off, power door locks would only work to open not close, also speedo is staying at 35 mph and the engine would just crank and not start.??????????????? what about the GEM,PCM and the two other modules in behind the radio.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes the 1999/2000 V6 PCM would have PATS and there would be a PATS module above the glove box that would need to be used with that PCM, they are a matched pair

You could just pull out the transceiver(antenna around ignition key slot) in the 2000 steering column and put it under the dash with 2000 key inside it, so PATS "sees" correct key when booted up

GEM is not part of the engine system, but in 1998-2000 it did do speedometer, but swapping PCM wiring wouldn't effect that
Unless you have a 4x4 there shouldn't be any other modules behind the radio just the GEM

Campbell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yes the 1999/2000 V6 PCM would have PATS and there would be a PATS module above the glove box that would need to be used with that PCM, they are a matched pair

You could just pull out the transceiver(antenna around ignition key slot) in the 2000 steering column and put it under the dash with 2000 key inside it, so PATS "sees" correct key when booted up

GEM is not part of the engine system, but in 1998-2000 it did do speedometer, but swapping PCM wiring wouldn't effect that
Unless you have a 4x4 there shouldn't be any other modules behind the radio just the GEM
My 98 according to ford dealer mine doesnt have pats, How do i determine which PCM and Other Modules are correct for my application, I thought the part # had to match the replacements???

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, in 1998 Rangers PATS was just an option for V6 models, most didn't pay extra for that
In 1999 and up all V6 Rangers had PATS as standard feature, the 4cyl models didn't get it until late 2001 with the 2.3l Duratec models

There is no "for sure" way to match PCM or GEM by year, Ford never released that info
Best bet is to match part numbers on the PCM and GEM
Usually the LAST numbers/letter on the part number reference the software loaded so try to match that

PCM part numbers have year and model as the first set of "numbers"
For 1998 PCM it would look like this F87F-12A650-XXX
F8 = 1998, F7 would be 1997
7 = Ranger or Mazda B-series
F = electronic part

12A650 = Ford PCM part number, STILL USED today, so not specific to Ranger or any Ford model, or any year

The XXX is the one you need to match, it will be specific to engine size and manual or automatic transmission
And Ford never released any info on these "numbers", so all there is to go on is other peoples numbers

Most wrecking yards will write down what vehicle a PCM came out of, i.e. 1998 ranger 3.0l manual
You can confirm "1998 Ranger" from part number on it
But you have to rely on wrecker for the "3.0l manual" part

Manual or automatic trans is a big deal, and a big difference inside PCMs, so that has to match your vehicle
As is engine size for obvious reasons
2WD or 4x4 doesn't matter to PCM in any year

Just a heads up
In 1999 Ford changed YEAR and MODEL designations for part numbers
F87x was 1998 Ranger

XL5 was 1999 Ranger
X = 1999
L5 = Ranger

Y = 2000
1 = 2001
2 = 2002
ect...

A = 2010
B = 2011
ect....

So 6L5x was a part for 2006 Ranger , BL5x would be 2011 Ranger part

Last edited:

Campbell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks RonD,for the help,Info Greatly appreciated,I was just thinking, can i Remove all wiring from Entire vehicle, engine comp under dash, under vehicle as long as the vehicle im getting the wire harness from is exactly the same, auto,a/c cruise,locks windows both fuse panels,, Why cant i do just that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals