• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

EGR valve control solenoid question

JohnG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger STX
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75R15
My credo
We need to stop messing with the framework that the founding fathers created.
Dumb question of the day...
Is the EGR valve control solenoid supposed to make a noise after I turn the truck off? It’s tough to describe but it’s a buzzing sound that lasts 1-2 seconds.

Getting code 31. Also looking for vacuum leaks.

‘86 STX with 2.9
Thanks all!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, with key off the 12v is cut to all emissions solenoids, could be you are hearing vacuum leaking on solenoid to EGR valve side
Engine side has no vacuum after engine is off, although in 1986 engine side could be hooked to the vacuum reservoir so would have vacuum to leak out, actually air in, lol

JohnG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger STX
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75R15
My credo
No, with key off the 12v is cut to all emissions solenoids, could be you are hearing vacuum leaking on solenoid to EGR valve side
Engine side has no vacuum after engine is off, although in 1986 engine side could be hooked to the vacuum reservoir so would have vacuum to leak out, actually air in, lol
Thanks Ron. I’ll keep looking.

JohnG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger STX
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75R15
My credo
Hey Ron, should an 86 have a vacuum reservoir? Mine doesn’t.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It does, might be a smaller one, on top of heater box in engine bay

Or looks like a coffee can painted black, like this: https://am-ebay-images-items.s3.amazonaws.com/item/AM-2425854478.jpg

Vacuum reservoir is need for the cab's air direction controls: defrost, panel and floor, "climate control"

If you look in engine bay passenger side next to Blower motor housing you should see a black hose coming out of firewall, might look like a wire but its a vacuum hose
Follow it, it will go to the vacuum reservoir

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
On his the vacuum reservoir is made under the air filter box. Hard to know it's even there. I think his EGR lines are red, and they should go to this box under the air filter box. And like you said, when vacuum is relieved you are actually letting air in. So if you look at the EGR solenoid, there should be a round black cap on top. Pull this off and there will be a little foam filter that should be cleaned every couple of years. This is how the air enters the EGR system when the solenoid closes the EGR valve. This foam can get clogged and the EGR system will not operate correctly.

JohnG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger STX
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75R15
My credo
An update about 31 code, hopefully will help others.

Found this link. A great resource to help diagnose my 31 code: http://www.tomco-inc.com/Tech_Tips/ttt34.pdf

While checking the egr valve it would not hold vacuum so I replaced it. Still had the 31 code and the truck still wasn’t fixed. Super hard to start... cranked for 3-4 seconds before it would start. Worried that I would get stranded after getting gas.

Checked the egr pressure sensor (dpfe) using info from the above link and found it was was bad. Replaced it and the truck starts instantly, on the first hit!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals